Root like fungus growing on wood?

rushman415

Type:55gal tall planted aquarium
Supplements used:Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel
CO2 system used
PenPlax Cascade 1000
Food: Cobalt brand tropical fish flake and frozen brine shrimp/blood worms

Hello all,
I have been trying to solve this mistery for months now. The only other post i saw about this topic so far was on this forum. So here it goes.

I have had this driftwood in my 55 gallon tall now for about 4 years. Before putting the wood into the tank, i froze it for 3 days and dried it out. Again this was all 4 years ago. Tank established 5 years ago.

About 4 months ago, i noticed these worm-like things growing on the wood only. They feel like tree roots. They do not move. They are attched much like a tree root. They do not stink. They arnt loose and confirmed it isnt just blood worms or poo.

They arnt hurting anything and have exhausted all my other sorces. Many planted tank keepers have also looked at this and have no idea. Even the planted tank community on Reddit cant figure oit what it is.

The only other source i have found was this post:
Fungus On Driftwood In Aquarium?? | Driftwood Forum | 296837

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Attachments

• 0517211213.jpg
    0517211213.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 0517211214.jpg
    0517211214.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 0517211213a.jpg
    0517211213a.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 35

Cherryshrimp420

Dunno if I should tell you....but it's fish poop :D

Upvote 0

rushman415

Confirmed that it is not fish poop. It is growing off the wood like a plant. Its attched like a root. Doesnt stink and it stays together like a tree root when in hands. The only lead i have now is that it may be Red Staghorn Algae.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Confirmed that it is not fish poop. It is growing off the wood like a plant. Its attched like a root. Doesnt stink and it stays together like a tree root when in hands. The only lead i have now is that it may be Red Staghorn Algae.

Hmm nevermind then forget what I said. I have the same thing in my tanks with harlequin rasboras, always thought it was poop

Upvote 0

Sauceboat

I've had red staghorn algae and it doesn't look like that... have no idea what that is

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ryuki
Replies
Views
Chefboyardee95
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics