Root less plants?k

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

I am new to plants and all my plants that I had have roots. I bought some today and it's just the plant. Almost like flowers when you buy them at the store. It's just the stem. I will able to post a pic of the plant later. And what is fertalizer? Is it just a chemical. Will it effect the fish? Thanks!!

2. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Fertilizer, like many things in the natural world, is a chemical(s). It's mostly good stuff like nitrogen and trace elements that might not be present in adequate quantities in tap water. Fertilizer intended for aquarium use does not affect fish, but certain brands may have a detrimental effect on invertebrates, sometimes lethally so.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I have 10 ghost shrimp. So maybe it will hurt them?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. C

Not necessarily. What hurts inverts is excess copper, but there are fertilizers that are safe for them. Check the label. What brand is it?

5. OP
    OP
    A

Oh. That's the thing I don't have any and I'm debating on getting it. Is it liquid?

6. C

Some are. General consensus here is that Flourish Comprehensive (liquid, safe for inverts) is pretty rad, but it can get pretty pricey, so check out the dry ferts, too. You said you have rooted plants? Some plants only use roots as anchors, but many do actually use roots to take up nutrients, in which case you will need root tabs, or an appropriate substrate.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Alright thx. I will look into it and yes half my plants are rooted and the new plants I got today have just the stems witch I thought looked weird. But maybe that's just me!

8. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

when i got my wisteria and red ludwigia it was just a stem no roots and its been in the tank for about a month or 2 and it has roots in the substrate and on the water column up the plant. they will grow roots most likely.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Oh ok awesome. Actually I took an old fake plant base and ripped it off. I stuffed the ends of the live plant into it. So it would be weighed down. Maby I shouldn't do this! What's a water colomn ?

10. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

The water lol up the stem of the plant there are roots that feed off the water not from the substrate

11. OP
    OP
    A

Ok haha thx for all your help!

12. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Yes, you would want to remove the plant from this. The roots would have no where to grow and the plant would eventually die. And you water column is simply the water in your tank that the fish swim around in.

Wisteria is a heavy root feeding plant, meaning it draws most of its nutrient from the soil and would benefit from root tabs. Your Ludwigia draws most of its nutrients from the water column and will benefit from liquid ferts. Your Luwigia will also require moderate light to grow and maintain its red color. The fertilizer you pick up at the local fish store is designed for fish tanks and will not affect the inhabitants, including shrimp, unless you excessively overdose. You will want to be sure your dosing of ferts is habitual so the plants continue to thrive (this will also reduce the risk of algae growth).

Remember, all plants need light (specific for plant growth), fertilizer (nutrients), and a source of carbon (CO2 or Seachem Excel), in order to survive, just like in the wild.

Good luck with the planting!

13. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks so much !

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum