Room Lights On Dimmers

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I just replaced my fish room, room light switches, to dimmers. Yes, did it all by myself and didn't even get shocked! I saw a show on TV recently and that is where I learned how. Very easy to do I have to say. (but not for children to do alone!)

It's so cool to use the dimmers and slowly increase the lighting as more of the fish wake up and come out. I love my fish and I'm so glad that I don't have to give them that unwanted surprise of bright lights first thing in the morning! I have always turned my room lights on before the tank lights come on so that it isn't such a shock to the fish. The dimmers make it even better.

Too, now I can give my fish a little mood lighting

hmmmm maybe I can rewire the house now! LOL NOT!
Zap!

Kenishy10

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's pretty neat Ken.
I hate to shock my fish when I turn on the light.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always turn the room light on first too. Gives them less of a heart attack, and I dant feel so bad >.<

Dimmers are a good idea! I should do that when I get my own house! =D

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wish they made dimmers for the actual tank lights. Congrats on the hard work!

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ditto to that Psalm!! I always feel terrible when I turn their 'spot-lights' on them in the morning!. I put the room light on first but, as Ken pointed out, some fish are slower to rise than others. I have some fish that could use a cup of coffee first!!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! My house hasn't burned down so I guess I did it right! :innocent0001:

Kenarty0011:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good job ken. I don't trust myself with electrical work enough to even bother. It would be cool to have it all on some kind of timer thing that would increase it gradually on its own over time.

treve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Excellent work Ken, I put dimmers in our house before our twins where born and did not realize the good affect it would have on our fish considering we are up early in our house.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For those who do not want to mess with electrical and I suggest that you don't!!! You can use a wall timer that plugs into an outlet and use a lamp that has a dimmer switch on it and you won't have to get up and turn the light on it will do it automatically, you can get a timer at Hardware store for 15 bucks or less depends on mechanical type or digital!!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Some lamps have a dimmer switch built in when you purchase the lamp.

I've also seen dimmer switches for lamps. These are for lamps that don't already have a built in dimmer, you know, like when you tap the lamp and it dims itself.

Ken

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Good morning,

Some lamps have a dimmer switch built in when you purchase the lamp.

I've also seen dimmer switches for lamps. These are for lamps that don't already have a built in dimmer, you know, like when you tap the lamp and it dims itself.

Ken
Ohh you mean the clapper!! Lol Yeah I was meaning that I guess I didn't quote that sorry!!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not the clapper. It's a lamp that has a dimmer built into it. You touch anywhere along the metal base of the lamp and it comes on. Each time you touch it, it gets brighter. I used to have one.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
Not the clapper. It's a lamp that has a dimmer built into it. You touch anywhere along the metal base of the lamp and it comes on. Each time you touch it, it gets brighter. I used to have one.
I know I was making fun of the clapper I always thought it was hilarous.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the update ken! =D

Borisbbadd

aquarist48 said:
Thanks! My house hasn't burned down so I guess I did it right! :innocent0001:

Kenarty0011:
Enough coffee and Bailys and you can do anything right.....

FiremouthGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stang Man said:
I know I was making fun of the clapper I always thought it was hilarous.
Yeah, you know, cuz it's SOOO exhausting to like... flick the light switch.

But yeah, dimmers rock! The room the tank is in now has LOTS of light in the morning, even when the windows aren't open, and so the light turning on isn't too stressful I think.

And Ken: I didn't know you had a fish room! You bad, bad fishkeeper! You should have told me! Pics?

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i myself leave my curtanes open in the early am and by the time i get home from work i just flick on the light and wala there is no shock to my fish,natural light i really like.my tank faces east so i get a natureal light source,so far i havent ran into trouble with algea,fingers crossed.great info ken thanks,always good to here from you.steve.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone!

Borisbbad...LOL That was a good one. (post #16)

FiremouthGuy, August of 2009 I had my screen porch enclosed and turned it into my fish room. It's not as elaborate (with as many tanks) as ones like Harpua's and a few others.

A couple of photos: ( I think it's time to take some new ones!)

Ken

Attachments

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i'm a big fan of dimmers. i've made my husband put them on a ton of lights in my house lol. although if you use cfl's, you have to make sure to buy the dimable kind. haha.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom