Room in the sump?

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just bought a 75 gallon setup with sump. I haven't measured the sump but I think it's 20-30 gallons. I was hoping to make part of it into a refugium but I'm really not sure how to set it all up. I have a return pump, heater and reef octopus skimmer that all need to live in the sump. Would it be best to try to add fuge to the sump or maybe to a HOB filter on the sump?

Here's a pic.

WombatCowboy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It doesn't look like you'd have enough space to me. Have you looked at the aquaclear HOB refugiums? They have their pump on the outside so they are relatively spacious inside there. A lot depends on what you're tossing into the refugium though, you want to make sure it has enough flow, and that it stays in the refugium obviously.

TT

OP
LJC6780

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Big Red said:
Id have to agree I thinking you maxed out for space in that sump.
Are you going by all of the stuff in the pic? That's just all of the washed parts and stuff, not set up how it will be running. There is a reef octopus skimmer, pump, thermometer and heater that will be going in. Filter sock goes in the left corner.

Could I get maybe a 5 gallon tank and use as a fuge? All of the HOB ones I've seen are super expensive.

Also, I looked up the specs for these and they are the reef octopus sro-1000int and the trigger crystal 30 sump.

WombatCowboy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what your stand situation looks like. But I bet you could sell that crystal 30 sump and buy a used 55 or 40 and make it have anything you want.

Tt

OP
LJC6780

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WombatCowboy said:
I don't know what your stand situation looks like. But I bet you could sell that crystal 30 sump and buy a used 55 or 40 and make it have anything you want.

Tt
This is the stand. It's a large cabinet. 75 gallon DT.

302dab49b3d2ba96074d3377c2cc35c8.jpg

Big Red

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive always built mine. My 150 came with a similar setup but I built a sump anyway. What are the internal demensions of the stand?

OP
LJC6780

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Big Red said:
Ive always built mine. My 150 came with a similar setup but I built a sump anyway. What are the internal demensions of the stand?
Not sure. I can go measure though. It's at my Grandad's house while I refinish it. It's actually a nice wood stand like the kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately the previous owner allowed lots of water damage and the finish is eaten away in many places. I really haven't messed with it as I've been so busy lately but I hope it isn't in too bad of shape to be refinished. I do remember the sump sitting inside and it seemed roomy.

New Threads