Hi everyone.

The tank: 29 US galons, fully cycled.

The fish:
1 Angel
3 Swordtails
3 Blackfin Cories
2 Albino Cories
1 Bushnose Pleco

The filter is a Whisper 60, rated at 300 gph.

I would like to add one more Angel. Is that too much? I am currently doing weekly 20% water changes, but can do it twice weekly if needed. Any input is greatly appreciated.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long have you had your angel because if you haven't just bought it they might fight a lot, also you should bump the cories up to a minimum of3 of each kind.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine816 said:
How long have you had your angel because if you haven't just bought it they might fight a lot, also you should bump the cories up to a minimum of3 of each kind.
The angel has been in the tank for about 5 weeks and is well established. The only fish she seems to have a problem with is one of the female swordtails that picked on her when she was sick (which is a another story that I would be glad to share). As for the cories: I had thought about adding another albino, but they all seem to be one happy school. I was kind of suprised, but the blackfins and albinos play well together and almost act like a single school.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then you are ok if they are playing together. As for another angel you should buy 2-3 angels try to get the same size as your current one and see what one pairs off with your current one and return the rest once they have paired off.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine816 said:
Then you are ok if they are playing together. As for another angel you should buy 2-3 angels try to get the same size as your current one and see what one pairs off with your current one and return the rest once they have paired off.
First: thank you so much for the advice.

Second: So do Angels do best as a mated pair? Will same sex pairs fight? Barring that, do single Angels do OK or do they need a mate?

I know, I'm full of questions. I just want happy and healthy fish.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Basically I have the same size tank as yours and a mated pair of angels, along with the same pleco as you, some harlequin rasboras, and one guppy left though I'm getting some more around x-mass as the lfs's by me suck in quality.  Yes angels do fine by themselves and in the size of your tank that might be ideal.  If you get two males or femals it's possible they will fight and not be able to setup their own territory in that small of a tank.  Though when you get a mated pair they setup a territory where they spawn and depending on the fish can get aggressive around mating time.  Mine have taken over a third of the tank, they sometimes chase my fish out of it but don't bother them anywhere's else.  It's up to you what you want to do.  If you want a more peaceful tank I would suggest stick with your angel now and get a few different fish, or if you don't mind a little aggression go with what you want though iw ould recomend a mated pair.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.  What type of filteration do you have, just wondering because angels are also large waste producers?

Austin

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter is a . It's rated for a 60 gallon tank, so I think I'm OK there. As long as my Angel is fine swimming solo I was thinking a male guppy or three might make a nice addition to my tank. Is that too much? I'm fine with making extra water changes if that's what's needed.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You might want to add 3-5, just make sure the angel doesn't attack them, mine don't though you want some play mates for them. Guppies are great fish

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually right now your tank is at its maximum capacity. Adding another Angel would add not just more bioload but aggression to the tank. Angels are cichlids and tend to be aggressive with each other and also the other occupants of the tank at spawning time. Two males will fight over territory. This added stress to an already fully stocked tank can cause disease to pop up. Stress lowers the immune system and this causes disease.
Just some thoughts
Carol

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine816 said:
You might want to add 3-5, just make sure the angel doesn't attack them, mine don't though you want some play mates for them. Guppies are great fish
Thank you, you have been a great help. Is this arrangement too much for a 29gal?

1 Angel
3 Male Guppies
3 Swordtails ( 1 adult femae, 2 too young TBD)
5 Cories (3 blackfin, 2 albino)
1 Bushnose Pleco

Again, I am willing to do extra water changes if that's what it takes.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly said:
Actually right now your tank is at its maximum capacity. Adding another Angel would add not just more bioload but aggression to the tank. Angels are cichlids and tend to be aggressive with each other and also the other occupants of the tank at spawning time. Two males will fight over territory. This added stress to an already fully stocked tank can cause disease to pop up. Stress lowers the immune system and this causes disease.
Just some thoughts
Carol
Thanks for the advice. Should I just stay put with what I have? The tank sems kind of empty, but I know the fish I have will grow. Is the setp I posted above too much?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O sorry about that wasn't thinkking last night, forgot about the cories. Ok I can't find info on the blackfin cories though albino grow to 3" just to let you know.Yes your tank would seem fairly empty because you don't have much going on in the middle besides your swordtails and/or guppies though that is fair amount. I would listen to butterfly and not get anymore fish.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep it's pretty full As the fish grow it will look fuller.
Carol

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the help. I'll stay put for now. Besides, two of the swordtails are very small and were born in the tank and I'd like to see them grow to maturity (the mother is one of two swordtails I used to cycle the tank, the male didn't make it ). They're only about 3/4 inch long, which makes the tank seem smptier than it actualy is.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom