Room for more rainbows??

1. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hey all!

In the 72G I currently have the following, and beside is the amount of inches I think they take up.

1 Angel catfish- 5"
    2 Bolivian rams- 5"
    5 Green tiger barbs- 10"
    1 Bristlenose pleco- 3"
    1 Boseman rainbow- 4"
    2 Blood parrot cichlids- 16"
    2 Angelfish- 12"

TOTAL= 55"

Clearly the inch per Gallon rule doesn't work for the large cichlids at the end so I like to add an extra 10" just to make up for the rest of there bio-load.
    So with that lets say 65".

I've had my rainbow for about 2 years and she has spent 6 months of it alone :( and I really would like to get her some friends in the future, however, do you think I have room?
    I am very happy with how the tank is now but I think she would be happier with 2 or 3 buddies :)
    So, do you think I have room for some more rainbows?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Ben, a very debateable topic. If it was me, i would certainly add 2 more Rainbows. wouldn't even hesitate. but as I said, very debateable. For a beginner, maybe not, but
    I think if you are willing to do more water changes and be consistent with your maintanence you should be fine. And I deifinitely agree that your one Rainbow would enjoy the new tankmates.

3. OP
    OP
    platy ben

8 years experience so I would class myself as out of the beginner zone :p;)
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Well I added my second blood parrot on saturday so I will give it a few weeks to settle down and for the water to get used to the new bio-load and then add 2 or 3 more rainbows :)

4. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, Certainly didn't see you as a beginner, you should be fine with 2 or 3 more rainbows. Good Luck.....

5. OP
    OP
    platy ben

Okay thanks a lot :)

If anyone else has any suggestions please post :)