Room for more rainbows??

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by platy ben, Mar 15, 2010.

1. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hey all!

In the 72G I currently have the following, and beside is the amount of inches I think they take up.

1 Angel catfish- 5"
    2 Bolivian rams- 5"
    5 Green tiger barbs- 10"
    1 Bristlenose pleco- 3"
    1 Boseman rainbow- 4"
    2 Blood parrot cichlids- 16"
    2 Angelfish- 12"

TOTAL= 55"

Clearly the inch per Gallon rule doesn't work for the large cichlids at the end so I like to add an extra 10" just to make up for the rest of there bio-load.
    So with that lets say 65".

I've had my rainbow for about 2 years and she has spent 6 months of it alone :( and I really would like to get her some friends in the future, however, do you think I have room?
    I am very happy with how the tank is now but I think she would be happier with 2 or 3 buddies :)
    So, do you think I have room for some more rainbows?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Ben, a very debateable topic. If it was me, i would certainly add 2 more Rainbows. wouldn't even hesitate. but as I said, very debateable. For a beginner, maybe not, but
    I think if you are willing to do more water changes and be consistent with your maintanence you should be fine. And I deifinitely agree that your one Rainbow would enjoy the new tankmates.

3. OP
    OP
    platy ben

8 years experience so I would class myself as out of the beginner zone :p;)
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Well I added my second blood parrot on saturday so I will give it a few weeks to settle down and for the water to get used to the new bio-load and then add 2 or 3 more rainbows :)

4. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, Certainly didn't see you as a beginner, you should be fine with 2 or 3 more rainbows. Good Luck.....

5. OP
    OP
    platy ben

Okay thanks a lot :)

If anyone else has any suggestions please post :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice