Rookie Move. (How to Relocate?)

1. shaymac Initiate Member

In the past I have set up larger tanks. In short, I thought to measure, level, check flooring for weight...

My new 29g has been set up in a bad place. Second floor...simple walk bys seems to shake, and cause compression issues with my tank. I need to move it soon. My question is: how empty is safe? My water parameters are p rps20120409_001914move.jpg erfect. Almost 8 weeks aged. I don't want to affect my biofilter.

The tank is on a very stable stand. Can I wait till my next water change...do a 50% and slide it very, VERY carefully? I also don't want to break it. The stand has felt on the feet, and I just need to slide it 6 feet across a hardwood floor.

Sorry. For the placement of the photo, I'm posting from my phone.

Any advice would be great.

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

As long as you keep your media wet, then you won't upset the bacteria colony.

As for how much to empty, well that's subjective based on what you can lift/carry. Personally I'd make it a 2 person job.

If you're proposing what I think you are, that is, emptying the tank somewhat and 'dragging' the whole setup on the stand across the floor, IMO you're asking for trouble.

If it were me,
    - I'd empty as much as I could (worth combining with a water change)
    - place any live stock in the emptied water/buckets - dragging moving the fish is probably an unnecessary stress on the fish due to the sloshing
    - lift the tank off the stand and place on something sturdy
    - relocate the stand and equipment
    - place the tank back on the stand
    - refill with some of the emptied water
    - return livestock to tank
    - top up with fresh water (water change water)

The reason I wouldn't drag the tank is any vibrations of movement along the ground could rupture silicone seals etc, and reduces any risks of tipping over.

Oh - and don't forget to unplug all the electrical equipment first ;)

3. shaymac Initiate Member

We cracked an almost empty 100 once, with just a simple move.

I was considering what you thought I was. I will not do it now. It's not that I was seeking less work. Just thought I could pull it off. Guess I'll rescape as well.

Thank you very much for your help!

Not sure what I was thinking, LOL. I'll leave my filter media intact as well.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

You're welcome.

hahaha - busted trying to be lazy... lol :anim_35:

I only thought of it because of your reference to "feet have felt", and it's exactly what my lazy mind thought of first ;)

With a 29, you've probably got thin glass too which is more subjective to cracking, so better to be very cautious, and take an extra 20-30 mins to do the job right :;hf

Good luck!

5. orandagal Member Member

When I first start out I had a 12 gallon on a piece of furniture, and didn't EVEN think about where I was going to put my new 29 gallon. I placed the new aquarium on the furniture where the old one sat but after a few stressful days wondering if the furniture it was on was going to hold all that weight and it was TOO tall to clean properly (I had to stand on a step stool) got the proper stand for it and had to figure out how to move it. I bought a brand new garbage can 45 gallons (I needed one anyway) syphoned out almost all of the water along with moving the fish, changed out the furniture and tanks, and then just put most of the water back in and as others have suggested, did a water change at that time. It is a 2 person job and takes a little time, but better safe than sorry. Best wishes and I still think your tank is beautiful!

6. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

+1 Ryanr - very good advice and explanation.