Rookie mistake

Andrew L

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Help is needed folks, I am a new fish tank owner and I made a rookie mistake tonight.

I am well on in my fishless cycle, nitrite spike and nitrate spike been and gone and slowly waiting for both nitrites and ammonia to drop to zero. Ammonia is dropping nicely in 24 hr period, nitrites not so much.

SO, tonight I decided to do a major water change to lower nitrites and nitrates. In the process of doing so I got distracted and forgot to turn my heater off, water change underway I noticed a crackling noise when water was half way,realised I forgot to switch off heater and when I moved it it brushed water surface and cracked.

With no back up heater I am worried my cycle is going to falter, anyone know ifit will? Will be purchasing a new heater tomorrow but will be full 18hrs without best,ambient room temp circa 20 degrees Celsius.

Any advice welcome

GuineaPigster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello!
Your cycle should be fine!!! Just make sure you remove all the glass.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your cycle won't die at that temp in one day, you should be fine

Cygnus

Well Known
Reaction score
If that's the worst mistake you've made, you're far ahead of many of us.

ray64

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you will be fine the BB takes a lot to kill off, the temp would have to drop to below 40 farh. to just slow it down, by the way what brand heater was it, it sounds like something might have been wrong with it for it to break so easily

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Andrew L, I am somewhat in agreement with ray64 as I have done the oopsy several times without any cracking. I try to be cautious but sometimes I get distracted or rush. I have 10 tanks and it can be a bit much at times-especially on the tanks that have two filters that both require priming. Good luck with your cycle and I like what others have said, you should be fine!

sophieydg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your BB will be fine without a heater also just wanted to make sure as you seemed a little confused about this - your ammonia and nitrite need to be at 0, but your nitrate should be under 40ppm, (less than 20 is ideal).

OP
A

Andrew L

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Folks, that is reassuring.

@ Sophieydg, thanks, I know the targets, Ammonia is dropping rapidly, nitrites not so much so I guess I have a wee bit to go yet until cycle is finished. Thanks for the nod on nitrates. Ihave done 3 fairly large water changes in the last 4 days and they don't seem to be dropping below 50ppm, but that is maybe due to me adding a continuous source of ammonia on a top up basis.

OP
A

Andrew L

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI Ray, it was the Fluval heater that came in tank kit, 100watt. I think it was the fact that it was still on, and the water level had dropped below it, so it firstly evaporated surface wetness then was just hot, and when I moved it it touched cooler water and cracked. I am going to speak to my LFS where I bought it today but I doubt they will replace for free. One thing for sure is I am going to buy a cheap back up as next time I could have fish in there!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll be fine. Goldfish tanks cycle just fine and they are usually kept at room temperature.

New Threads