Ronald Mcdonald Protest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris123, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

I just heard on the new that there some copertation out there that blaming Ronald Mcdonald for child obesity.

What do guys think of this?

CB

Link

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Not solely thier fault but they don't help the cause either. At the end of the day I blame the parents. Parents need to take a more responsible approach to thier kids diet rather than just going for what is easy.

3. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

+1 nutter..

4. Sorry to say it, but we live in a world where if you can find somebody else to blame, you don't have to take responsability for your own actions.......:;2cents

5. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

I believe it is mostly a parental problem. My wife the school nurse, is often shocked by the fatty foods that parents send in as lunches. but... in our society with 2 working parents, quicky easy lunches are sooo convienient.

I occasionally enjoy a double cheese, but not as a staple meal....but I know those who have that stuff up to 3 times a week!!!...YUK Both parents work, commute for 2 hours or more each way...and healthy meals are not on the top of getting home.

How about taxing sodas to cut back the sugar the kids are getting??? What, why are soda machines in our schools to begin with????????

Sorry I'm ranting

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Haha Ted, rant away!!

Sadly boris that is true, we are seeing it more and more each day...

Occassionally as a treat it is fine, but not all the time.

7. David CWell Known MemberMember

Anyone see that show where the chef revamped a school lunch program to serve only healthy foods? The kids stopped buying school lunch and brought their own fatty lunches. I don't blame the schools for serving unhealthy food, in the end it's the parents responsibility. Let me tell you the last time my boys (2 and 6) chose where we went for dinner... wait, that never happened. People just want to blame a stupid clown spokesman for their own incompetence as parents. Besides, the group responsible for blaming the clown uses examples of him being at schools, leaving out the part that it was charity events when he promotes healthy eating, getting out to play, and the whole ronald mcdonald charity. Go figure.

Dave

8. haedra

haedraWell Known MemberMember

I agree that the marketing towards children is very poor form, and that it would be good if it were no longer allowed.

HOWEVER (and this is a big "however"), in the end it is totally true that what the kids are eating falls on the shoulders of the parents. Once in awhile I enjoy a Mc Donald's meal, even though I know it's crap food that is chemically flavored. Kids are going to want some of these things, but if you start from the beginning with a lifestyle of eating a main diet of foods that are filled with nutrients they need, they will be set up to live a healthier lifestyle later. I have always been very big on this with my son, ever since he started eating solid food. I went so far as to make my own veggie purees for him while he was a baby, because I wanted to be SURE what he was ingesting. For this reason, I also refuse to buy cereals that are nothing but sugar, and steer towards those that have something of value in them, such as a healthy fiber content...the ones that adults tend to choose for themselves. I'm sure because of this I'm considered the "weird" parent, who sends a healthier juice box to school that has a day's requirements of fruit and veg in it. But I don't really care. All I care about is my son being healthy.

That being said, I can't agree more with this:

I am appalled that there are vending machines in school with such terrible things in them, candy, soda, and other useless food in them. I understand for financial reasons that vending machines are relatively needed, but why not fill them with things that aren't completely useless for the human body? Maybe dried fruit, or bottled water, ANYTHING that isn't filled with empty calories, and that has some sort of nutritional value for them.

I think my son (he is 6) has had soda no more often than I can count on one hand in his lifetime, and candy only slightly more often. Some parents might think I'm a bit extreme; but I'd rather he get used to not relying on such useless drinks now while he is young, and make better decisions when he is older.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  9. HitchHiker

HitchHikerValued MemberMember

Well here in good ol' California, the U.S. leader in nanny statism. They are proposing a bill to outlaw all toys in kids meals. Because apparently that will solve the whole childhood "obesity" problem.

10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I definitely say the responsibility lies on the parents' shoulders.

I'm a single mother, work 40 hours a week, have 31 tanks and many other animals that need our time and attention.

I cook our meals ahead of time, I cook with lean meats, my daughter brings her lunch to school (pre-approved by me), and vegetables are served and eaten at every meal. Also, I keep more healthy snacks available than junk food. She either drinks water or milk with meals (her choice). I also utilize her "favorite healthy snacks" and keep them available at all times. I've also been working with her since she was small to stop eating when she's full so she doesn't "eat with her eyes".

Once a week, we eat out. The usual choice is McDonald's or something similar, but with healthy meals the rest of the week, it's not damaging her cholesterol or her eating habits.

It is possible to implement a healthy lifestyle into a busy schedule.

11. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

David C... Jamie Oliver by any chance? He annoys me, he went on a crusade here and just drove me crazy by being on TV all the time, every advert break, all the time!

He wants to promote preparing food fresh all the time, which is a good idea, but to be honest he just puts me off, I'm that sick of him!

12. David CWell Known MemberMember

I don't remember the name of the chef, but that could be it. I only watched the highlights, not the show itself. I found it hilarious that his great ideas proved it's not the school districts fault, kids will eat what they eat if they have the option. Unfortunately, the kids had the option to bring the junk food from the home, so the parents must have been supplying it. Plus, if parent cooked healthy meals more often, the kids wouldn't have been put off as much by the food he had provided. I blame parents for being lazy and wanting everyone else to raise their kids.

Dave

13. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

All I gotta say is :;broccoli :;pickle :;bananarow Veggies all the way. :;bananasplit

14. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

I firmly believe it boils down to parenting. My mom taught me from a very young age that things like cookies, ice cream, candy, cheeseburgers, french fries, etc, are a treat. They're not a form of nutrition and they shouldn't substitute a real meal. I had sweets at birthday parties and sleepovers and things like that but my mom didn't keep a lot of that stuff in the house. She would sometimes one buy one bag of cookies or one half gallon of ice cream for the week for all 4 of us to share. We always had plenty of fresh fruit available, sandwich ingredients, fresh veggies, almonds, things like that on hand; and she always cooked up veggies with dinner every night.

Now that I'm an adult, I know how to make good choices for myself because I know that when I eat better, I feel better. I'm active and take my health very seriously but I also have a huge sweet tooth! I'm thankful to my mom for teaching me moderation from a young age so I can enjoy the wonderful foods that I love but still know how to fuel my body properly.

15. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Maybe we should expand to Food and FishLore

16. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Considering some of our crazy (I mean much-loved) members cook for their fish, that probably would be a good idea:;laughing

17. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

The whole McDonald's thing is a "chicken or the egg" issue that is compounded by bad parenting, poor personal choice, and modern food economics.

Fast food is only problematic in excess (and, it's important to note, nearly every food is problematic in excess). The issue is the fact that what used to be the large size is now the small. A single meal from McDonald's, before supersizing or adding ketchup or anything like that, has over half of your daily calories. So we could lay the blame on McDonald's for increasing their sizes, right.
    But they wouldn't be able to afford to increase their sizes unless that's what the customers want, so the blame falls entirely on the customers, right?
    Except fast food places want their customers to buy more, so they use advertising, upselling, suggestive selling, and a number of other tricks to get their customers to buy more, so we go back to blaming them.
    The customers don't have to fall for this, though, so it's their fault.

Add to this the fact that this is the first time in the world's history that it is cheaper to buy fatty meat than it is to buy a head of lettuce.

My opinion is that today's parenting isn't the source of the problem, though it is definitely compounding the problem. If parenting was the source, I don't think the nation would be in this condition. I'm a bit over thirty, and when I was a kid, 9 out of 10 of my friends' parents still had family-style dinner. Therefore, this wasn't a trait learned from parents (though parenting is not faultless, either.) As time goes on, though, more people fall into the trap of easy food. Mom and Dad are both employed, and are both working overtime. Neither wants to cook, and who can blame them? So we've got our TV dinners, our carryout, our delivery... there's even a string of candy-bar commercials that suggest that their product is a substitute for a meal. There's the fact that all of these products have been manipulated in a lab so that they taste as good as possible. Many people think that they taste better than the real thing. (By the way, I'm not blaming that one solely on the producers, either... we who buy those products are just as much at fault.)

My favorite author on this subject is Michael Pollan. He has a common-sense approach to changing how you think about food, and supports his claims very well. He's not like the majority of the food writers, who are saying that their way is the only way. In fact, his base statement is "pick a traditional diet from anywhere in the world, or mix it up as you want, and try to emulate that."

18. Karl RValued MemberMember

I believe that the blame for this problem can be split three ways.33.3% lies on the sholders of the parrents. Reason being that both of my parrents worked very buisy schedules while iwas growing up. But still my mother or father always found the time to provide a good nutritionally sound meal for my brother and me. My folks did this for us because they cared what we ate and loved us enough to make sure we ate healthy. If my folks could do that with my mother working 40 to45 hours every week and my father working 60 hours most weeks theni believe there is no excuse not to! 33.3 percent lies with the companies that produce these products and design advertisements that target young impresionable children. It is my opinion that these products and product manufacturers intentionally hide alarming nutrition information amidst confuseing numbers and woefully small print. Shame on them! The FDA is also not without blame here because they allow these practices there I assign 0.01% blame to the FDA for that reason. Which brings us to the final 33.3% of the blame. I assign this lastportion of responsibility to the children themselves. A sedentary lifestyle chock full of video games and computer based entertainment and lacking in physical activity of any type is bad. If you expect to burn the calories you consume you have got to be active. You need to go outside and play. Take responsibility for your own health and body because after you only get one body!

19. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

I have to disagree with Karl R when saying that 33.3% of the blame lies with the children themselves.

The problem is that most children don't know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods. And when they are given things like Happy Meals and chips and cookies and sodas, or whatever, from the time they can remember, you can't place the blame on them. A perfect example: my friend from high school allowed her daughter to eat Doritos and ice cream at 9:00 at night one time when I was visiting her. When I asked her if she normally lets her have stuff like that, she said "Oh yeah, she loves it. Her favorite thing is to eat Carl's Jr. with Daddy when he comes home though." I was in complete disbelief. Her two year old daughter didn't know any better and here was my friend, willingly putting that horrible stuff into her child's body. It's situations like this that I'm referring to when I say the blame lies with the parents.

If a 6 year old kid spends all his time inside playing video games, you can't blame him for that. The parents bought him the video games. The parents could just as easily buy him a bike or some sports gear to go outside and play with. If that same 6 year old kid eats McDonald's several times a week, you can't blame him for that. The parents are opening their wallets and paying for it. They're the ones driving to pick it up and give it to him. It seems like parents are afraid to tell their children "No" these days.

Like I stated before, my mother taught me that fast food is not a sound source of nutrition and should be thought of as a treat. I asked for it WAAAAYY more than I actually got it because my mother was able to say "no" and explain to me why it is not good to eat things like that all the time. People need to stop being so concerned with their kids getting mad at them for saying "no."

20. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

I say it's completely the parents fault 100%. You can order healthy meals at Mcdonalds or any fast food chain for that matter. Mcdonald's doesn't hold a gun to your head and make you order burger, fries and a shake super sized. They give you choices of food and it's up to the parent to decide what their kids consume. Blaming the chain is setting people up for failure. What would it be like if people couldn't make a right choice? "Please Mcdonald's don't give us choices because we can't and won't make the right one for our children" :-\ It's not that hard to choose a healthier meal. Apples instead of fries, milk instead of pop, salad instead of a burger, fruit parfait instead of a shake. I know a burger and fries is good. ;D and in moderation It's fine but to blame someone else is silly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice