Rocky Mountain Granite Substrate Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Dean, Mar 28, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

I've got a really good lead on some substrate for my new 55 gal tank with an odd ballish theme including some Polka-Dot Loaches. A friend of mine has mineral rights for some mountains in colorado where he mines for gold flake. He has ton of 2 and 3 mm rocks from sifting. It contains mostly granite with quartz, garnet, and some shale. He did the vinegar test for me and said there weren't any bubbles or fizzing going on. Its fairly round but it does a some square like pieces in it. He said it looks really good with the grey,red,and clear quartz crystal in it, Do you guys thing that that will work well for my tank? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm, as long as it's smooth I guess.

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Just to be safe I would boil all of it for at least 15minutes just to kill off bacteria. Better safe then sorry.

4. OP
    OP
    D

not a bad idea. So those rocks shouldn't change the water chemistry.

5. Furallicah

Shouldn't be sure they contain no limestone though that can kill fish. But boiling the substrate will help, and I dont think it would change the chemisty much. Keep an eye on water conditions though.

6. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Granite, an ingneous rock, will not change the substrate. As stated by Furralicah, boiling it is always a good idea.

7. phishyitis

phishyitis Valued Member Member

I think shale has some oily properties,if you boil it it might release oil into the water.I am not a geologist but,I wouldn't risk it.There are way too many substrate choices to risk your fishes health.Just an opinion.

8. Furallicah

Shale to my knowledge doesnt have oily properties in it but I might be wrong too....hmmm. I'll do some research.

9. OP
    OP
    D

I'll look into shale more. I think it has similar properties as slate but, I'm no expert either. I do know that there's no limestone in it.

10. Jaysee

welcome to the site phishi

11. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Granite will raise the GH or the water over time. It depends on a few different things as to how much it will change it. In all honesty though the amount it will add to the GH shouldn't be so much that you can't control the effects through water changes. Limestone doesn't kill fish. It just raises the KH & thus PH within the tank. Shale is safe & will not change your water chemistry at all as is quartz. Most PH neutral substrates are quartz based. Boiling to remove any nasties is always a very good idea. You will need to be extra carefull that none of the gravel contains veins or flecs of metal which would be a worry if it is coming from a spot that is being mined for gold.

12. OP
    OP
    D

If there was any gold, my buddy got it out. He very meticulous. He said that there isn't any other metals in the gravel besides the gold flake he pans for.

13. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Rinse it well and use it. I doubt there are any organics in it from the mountains there, no need to boil. The gold flakes will settle under the subsrate.....lol

14. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks everyone for your input

15. OP
    OP
    D

If there is a little bit of tiny gold flecks in the gravel, is it still safe to use in the tank?

16. Jaysee

Gold as in GOLD? IDK, does it oxodize? I don't know anything about gold in it's natural state.

17. Furallicah

Gold doesnt really Oxodize a a high rate usually taking many years. Which is one reason it is so valuable. If it was in a saltwater tank it would still be fine after a long time. All people do who find it in the ocean is polish it a little and its as good as new. If it was silver that would be different it oxodizes a little faster then gold usually turning slightly greeny gray coloring and losing it metalic shine. But still just a polish and good as new. I dont think gold would do anything to your tank on the level of chemical alteration. But then again it also depends on what could possibly be mixed in with the gold.

18. OP
    OP
    D

its only granite, quartz, and shale. The gold (Au,real gold) flakes are mined out but i did see some gold flakes and dust.

so either way it should be ok?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  19. OP
    OP
    D

Well, I tested the gravel (with a science teacher's help) using HCL. No bubbling or fizzing so it seems to be fine to use in my new aquarium. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice