Rocks

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want to add rocks to my 29 gallon tank to help keep the sand an gravel separate. I looked at one of the lfs today, they want $1.49/lb. That seems like it could get awfully expensive since rocks are heavy!

S, I think I'll just start trying to find rocks around town. What are the types of rocks that should not be put in a Freshwater tank?

x

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Stay away from anything that looks like it has mineral pockets in it like limestone and stuff like that. Try to find stuff that only has one colour and is smooth. I got some from the beach in front of my house and all I did was boil them for 5 min scrubbed them like crazy and they are perfect.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anything with calcium carbonate, like limestone, if you're not trying to alter your pH of KH. Use a few drops of white vinegar on a stone and if it bubbles it's got calcium carbonate in it. Ideally granite or sandstone and you should be able to find granite easy in your neck of the woods. River rocks are generally good too, just boil them for awhile to kill any nasties.

Home Depot or Lowe's have big bags of rocks, not sure how much they cost, though. Or if the size is right for you.

-Lisa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I believe you can use one of the liquids in the API Master Test Kit (was it nitrate #2?) to test rocks, because it contains hydrochloric acid, a very acidic compound. I've done that a couple times to test rocks for my tank.

Generally you want to stay away from dolomite, limestone, marble, any rocks with orangey-brown rust veins (that indicates iron), and softer types of sandstone.

Hard sandstone, granite, basalt, other igneous rocks, and minerals such as quartz can be put into the aquarium.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IME the cost to get the rocks from a LFS is to $$. And very frustraiting to get the rock shape you want. A river is the best bet to find what you are after.

Like the others have said make sure not to get limestone.

mac

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Easiest way to test if rocks (or anything really) is aquarium safe is to pour a few drops of plain old white vinegar on it. If it bubbles, that means it's reactive and will change your pH and cause all sorts of problems. If it doesn't do anything, it's safe. I collected rocks for my tanks from a local river bed and just took a water bottle filled with vinegar with me so that I didn't lug back rocks that I couldn't use.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to start hunting rocks this weekend. Hopefully I can find some nice ones.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads