Rocks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by isacr, Jul 7, 2015.

1. i

isacr Valued Member Member

Can I put in a rock from a canyon in my tank??

Sent from my HTC One using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would make sure they are safe to put in your tank. Try running the rocks in hot water and scrubbing them down. I heard that boiling rocks can sometimes make them pop. So I don't know if I would try that. Some rocks can mess with your PH, if you want to be safe Place the rocks in a bucket and check the PH daily to see if the rocks affect the water too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    i

I was at a rock store and bought rainbow slate. That's what the lady said was good for tanks.

4. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Slate is quite chemically inert and therefore safe to use in that it will not affect pH or water hardness. rick

5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Slate is fine. You can use the vinegar test on rocks. Drip some white vinegar on them, if they fizz they'll raise your ph, if not they won't. I give my rocks a peroxide bath then pour boiling water in them and let them sit for about 10 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

I always soak all of my rocks in a solution of white vinegar and water, both to clean them and also for the vinegar test ^

7. OP
    OP
    i

I was thinking of getting a few live plants. Would it be possible to have the plant grow from the rainbow slate ( have the plant connected to the slate)?

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Don't know about that, but you can tie some moss or Java Fern, anubias to the slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    i

And the roots would go where ?

10. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

What kind of plant were you thinking of? If you go with anubias or java fern you can tie/rubber band/glue the rhizome to the rock. You can either leave the roots free floating or plant them, if you plant them just make sure the rhizome is above ground or it will rot. I leave mine free floating personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice