Rocks safe?

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

Hey FishLore.

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this post, but I was not sure where else to ask this question.

I bought some small rock pieces from my LFS for my 45 gallon and ran an acid test on them after soaking them in hot water. A few places on on only a few of the rocks fizzed. I heard the sound more than anything else - it was soft, nothing dramatic and barely noticeable, and it took several minutes for any bubbles to appear even when soaking.

The rocks were rather dusty when I picked them up, so could it be that organic matter might be playing a part in the reaction?

If not, to what extent will these small rock pieces affect my pH? The water is soft and its pH as of now is slightly less than neutral due to the driftwood in the tank.

Thanks in advance.

2. B

Bigzsbettas New Member Member

I would wash them and let them sit out for the chlorine to disappear. And make sure there not to sharp to cut the fins. But that is just a tip but i would look into it more so it wont modify the ph.

3. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

you could also soak them in water in a bucket and see if they change the ph of the water over a course of a few days. since water changes would be done weekly it may be enough to offset the change if it does happen to change it slightly

4. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

My water does not contain chlorine since it comes from a well, which makes keeping fish a lot easier on my part! And I will use the bucket idea, thank you for that suggestion, Secret Oasis. I do keep up the weekly water changes; maybe if the pH shift is only slight (or better yet, nonexistent) I will be able to make it work.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Generally you can pour a little vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, it can raise your pH. If it does not fizz, it should not.