Rocks OR Sand? is it fine to switch?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by AnthonyC4C, Jan 1, 2013.

1. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I did some research and most people are saying fine sand is not suited for under gravel filtration. My advice would be to change to a canister filter if you want sand or go with the black gravel with your current filter if you want to. I am not well versed in this matter however and would seek others who know more to either back up my statement or offer a more learned response, good luck!

3. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

The only thought I have that may keep the sand from dropping into the UGF would be to lay some fiberglass window screen on top of the UGF before putting down the sand. It may work if the sand grain is large enough and the screen holes are small enough. I believe the seachem flourite black sand (clay) is a larger grain. Otherwise, like alan said, you could seed a new filter before changing the substrate and remove the UGF all together. I'm not much of a fan of gravel anymore with live plants, so for the amount of work to swap the substrate I would put something in that would work well for them.

4. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Hmmm...I was even wondering about using carbon on the bottom as well...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice