Rocks I have found

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Springr#6, Mar 31, 2010.

1. S

Springr#6 New Member Member

Hello,
    A few years ago, an old barn on our farm was demolished but a lot of the rocks weren't taken away so I gathered them to do some landscaping around the house. My father and I believe them to be granite, some with some speckly looking things in them and they are fairly clean. Would they be fine to use in my tank that I'm setting up in a month. What would be good to clean them with, or should I just scrub them hard. I also plan on boiling them all since they have been in the dirt for a few years. Thanks for any help.

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Granite with speckly things would more than likely be mica inclusions. Just rinse and use, Granite is definately safe and mica is not water soluable so you are good to go!! Just use a good scrub brush that has NOT EVER been used with cleaning compounds before. It is highly, extremely unlikely there is any need to boil it...it is not from a river, stream or pond.
    For the first couple of months check your Ph....all should be well.

3. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I put a couple of rocks in my tank. I think I found them at the beach. I simply rinsed them in warm water and then baked them in the oven at 350 for an hour or so.

I don't know what kind of rocks I have but they've been in the tank for years.

4. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Actually most rocks are ok, because we are doing regular water changes.

Examples of water soluable rocks are limestone and calcite....the are actually very hard rocks, but as seen on caverns...they do eventually very slowly be disvolved.

AFTER ADDING ROCKS TO YOUR TANKS, ALWAYS MONITOR YOUT PH FOR A WHILE.

Any mineral ore rocks should be avoided because of associated heavey metal minerals.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Springr#6 New Member Member

Hey, thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the info!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice