Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fish time, Aug 4, 2017.
Can these nice rocks I found be used for a fish tank
They look like it, so I'd guess it'd be useable. I'd wash them off with vinegar first, and see if they fizz at all.
If they fix is it bad?
Mainly if they fizz, it means they contain calcium, or mineral traces. That's not good for the aquariums, because it can mess with your pH.
Oh okay then
First, do a vinegar test. Put drops of vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, it can change your pH, GH, and/or KH. If it doesn't, then it won't change your parameters. Then bleach them, pour boiling water over it, or boil it to get rid of the germs inside. Then clean the rocks with water and then place them in your aquarium.
They don't seem to have a sedimental origin. I'd throw them in without a doubt hahaha.
Don't boil them in the water because then their still in the bad bacteria. I bake my in the oven same with wood to disinfect. Pre heat oven to 350 400 degrees Fahrenheit and put them in for around 45 min to 1 hour.
Baking 'might' cause the rocks to literally explode.
What are the bad bacteria ?
I've baked rockes before and they don't explode, maybe if their tiny.
What is your PH? If your sitting in the 8 range, just pour boiling water over them and let them soak in it till it cools off and put them in the tank. If you have low PH then do the vinegar test.
If there is water in the rock (from rivers or lakes), it will.
Dry it out then.
Hi, those rocks look nice. I think it's always a risk they bring parasites. If you want to be careful about it, rinse, boil, bleach the rocks, then rinse very well again, and let them dry out in the sun.
Separate names with a comma.