Rocks/Caves for Jack Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Emily Caldwell

Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

My JD is in a temporary tank until I move. He will be upgrading to a 55 gallon with more driftwood and some plants. I bought a cheap terracotta flower pot for his current tank. It is such an eyesore but he LOVES it and spends most of his time hanging out in there. I don't want to take away his cave, but I am trying to make his new tank look nice and I would prefer not to have that ugly pot in there! Do you have a product you use for your JD that serves this purpose? It seems like most of the faux-rock cave tank ornaments are not nearly big enough for a JD. Mine is 7 inches and probably still growing. If you have a terracotta pot in your JD tank, have you done anything creative to camouflage it and/or make it more attractive? If I can't find a suitable substitute I will of course leave the pot in there. He needs a cave!

2. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Get some large rocks from a river, landscaping company and stank them so he can hide in between them.

3. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

Well, that's putting a lot of faith in my rock-scaping abilities....haha!! But yeah, that's a great idea, I could definitely try that out and if he doesn't seem to like it I can always put the pot back in.

4. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Is not as hard as it seems. Just need to 2 rocks taller then your Jd and one rock that runs across the 2 rocks. Hard to explain lol.

5. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

You can use those (usually) brightly coloured painted glazed terracotta pots.

JDs are ambush predators by trade, so multiple places that it can get behind, under, in, etc is ideal. They lurk in plants too...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice