Rock ID?

RelaxingBettas

I have locally collected stones in my betta tanks I decided to stop sweating over their 'safeness' (after much reading, and a year in my pond), and I have no idea, other than with the moonlight setting they do *this* , and I really like the effect. But what are they!!!
Tennessee area

DoubleDutch

Think no one can tell cause of the light.

RelaxingBettas

DoubleDutch said:
Think no one can tell cause of the light.
Lol yeah I intended to post more pix as dawn comes, didn't want to blast my fish all at once, plus the way it is reacting to the light (is that a quartz vein fluorescing?) seemed pertinent. I'll add a couple more photos when it's brighter out.
ETA here we go, I like to let my bettas ease into the day and let them have moonlight setting while I'm having coffee ☺

DoubleDutch

Gneis ?

AggressiveAquatics

I agree with DoubleDutch it does look like gneiss. Which is aquarium safe

Nessaf

If it is gneiss, some of the quartz in there might be the culprit as to the glow. Metamorphic quartz/quartzite is so disordered that sometimes if you hit two pieces together in the dark, you can get electrons to jump around and you see light, like with static electricity. Called triboluminiscence.

RelaxingBettas

Nessaf said:
If it is gneiss, some of the quartz in there might be the culprit as to the glow. Metamorphic quartz/quartzite is so disordered that sometimes if you hit two pieces together in the dark, you can get electrons to jump around and you see light, like with static electricity. Called triboluminiscence.
Thanks guys,bI'm glad, I was going to order some gneiss off the internet; I enjoy the look. Got some NZ schist (and gravel) that is yummy I'm saving for a 29 gallon.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom