Rock ID please....

1. grnsev4me Member Member

Was thinking they we're slate but wanted to make sure! Did the vinager test no fizzing..but does that make them safe?[​IMG]

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would think so, just give it a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush under running hot tap water, and you should be good to go.. Do not boil them. Alison:;hi1

3. grnsev4me Member Member

Is there any way to get those rust stains off?

4. Aster Well Known Member Member

If it's actual rust, it won't harm the fish if that's what you're worried about. Rust is iron oxide, and many fertilizers used for planted tanks contain iron.

5. grnsev4me Member Member

But isn't iron a heavy metal toxic to my fish??

Or alter my water conditions??

6. Aster Well Known Member Member

It occurs naturally in water. Organisms need it to survive. I doubt that the rocks contain enough iron to alter your water conditions anyway.

But if you're not sure, you can always not put the rocks in :)

7. Jnx Member Member

It sure looks like slate to me, and I've used it in my indoor ponds with no ill effects. If you're concerned, just give it a good scrub/rinse with plain tap water.
    As for iron, it is not a heavy metal, and is not toxic. Small amounts will cause no problems. My well water has a high enough iron content that it will stain plastics with repeated contact, but I use it on plants and fish (and myself) with no issues.

8. grnsev4me Member Member

I am just being sketchy being Idk anything about rocks or what they may contain. I've work really hard to get and keep my tanks perfect (at least to me anyway) and don't/didn't want to put anything in to change anything... but thanks for all the input I think I will use them and see if anything happens!☺

9. Jnx Member Member

Hey- always better safe than sorry! :)
    You could always set up a temporary "tank", even a plastic bin, and just put the rocks in for a week or so, and test the water.
    Shale is just eons worth of compressed clay, usually from ancient ocean and river beds. Depending on where the rocks came from, that red hue may even be clay dust, and not iron.
    Just remember: though iron=rust, it also =spinach. ;)

10. grnsev4me Member Member

Cool thanks!