Rock from Wellfleet Massachusetts - safe to use?

Cooksmorrell

Last year I took a trip to Wellfleet Massachusetts and did some rock collecting along the shoreline. I was collecting these really pretty white rocks which had some crystallization to them. They still feel a bit salty to the touch but I’m not sure what type of rocks they are? I’m starting up a new fresh water tank and was wondering if these would be safe to use inside but it’s kind of hard to know if I can’t identify the rock. Any ideas?

IMG_1280.JPG

StarGirl

It looks pretty solid not sandy. Try some vinegar on it. If it bubbles you can't use it. I'm not sure being from the ocean. I think if it is a rock not like a fossil or something it should be ok. Just boil it good first.

Cooksmorrell

It looks pretty solid not sandy. Try some vinegar on it. If it bubbles you can't use it. I'm not sure being from the ocean. I think if it is a rock not like a fossil or something it should be ok. Just boil it good first.

Ok I’ll try that. What is this vinegar test?

StarGirl

If it bubbles the rock has contents that will not be good for your tank.

kallililly1973

Definitely wouldn't boil it. You can put it on a bucket and pour boiling water over it but if it has any hidden air pockets there is a chance it could explode.

mattgirl

I am going to be perfectly honest here. If I see a rock I like and want to use it in my tank(s) I wash it well and plop it in there. If one already has a high PH they may want to be sure not to add a limestone rock but most rocks are perfectly safe and can be used in our tanks.

opps: I just realized we are in the saltwater section of the forum. We are talking about a freshwater tank aren't we. I don't know what precautions need to be taken for a salt water tank.

StarGirl

Definitely wouldn't boil it. You can put it on a bucket and pour boiling water over it but if it has any hidden air pockets there is a chance it could explode.
Where are these exploding rocks? I have never had one I'm curious. Honestly I don't know why I wrote that. I usually do what mattgirl said. Trying to be cautious?

kallililly1973

Where are these exploding rocks? I have never had one I'm curious. Honestly I don't know why I wrote that. I usually do what mattgirl said. Trying to be cautious?
I've never had it happen but i've read horror stories of it happening and definitely wouldn't want to see it first hand that's why I always suggest it to others. just a precaution.

mattgirl

I've never had it happen but i've read horror stories of it happening and definitely wouldn't want to see it first hand that's why I always suggest it to others. just a precaution.
I am thinking this is where the exploding rocks comes from. I have to think it came from exploding rocks used around a camp fire. That does happen if there happens to be some moisture in said rocks. I've never felt the need to boil one so I know I will never personally experience it.

Charlie’s Dad

I vote for the vinegar test. If it fizzes....no good. It all goes back to chemistry. Nice rock......

StarGirl

I am going to be perfectly honest here. If I see a rock I like and want to use it in my tank(s) I wash it well and plop it in there. If one already has a high PH they may want to be sure not to add a limestone rock but most rocks are perfectly safe and can be used in our tanks.

opps: I just realized we are in the saltwater section of the forum. We are talking about a freshwater tank aren't we. I don't know what precautions need to be taken for a salt water tank.
Sorry OP! Didn't realize you are salt either!

mattgirl

Sorry OP! Didn't realize you are salt either!
The original post does say freshwater but then I realized where we are.

kallililly1973

When my 29 gallon was outside I was adding rocks from my yard without ever checking them either and to this day everything has been perfectly fine. All credit for finding the rocks go to my puppy Jetty so maybe his slobber gave them the "all good test" or he was just trying to be helpful

StarGirl

The original post does say freshwater but then I realized where we are.
Oh yeah it does say starting a freshwater tank. Mods need to move it to Freshwater section....

A201

Looks like quartz to me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
stella1979
Replies
Views
missyjean