Rock Flower Anemone Help

ServingAces15

Hey all! I have a pico that has been up and running for a few months and was seeded by my nano reef tank that I've had running for years. I dreamed of having a rock flower anemone garden but it's not working out so well for me... I started with 3 of the little guys and the first 2 died in the first 2 weeks, which was due to an ammonia spike that came with stocking the tank for the first time. The entire tank was a mess actually…One anemone survived and was happily living in the tank until now. He has suddenly bleached or at least lost all color and has declined rapidly. Tank parameters are near perfect, I feed him mysis once a week.

4g Pico that’s 3+ months old and was seeded by my several year old nano tank:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate <5ppm (a little high but not enough that I’d think it would kill a rock flower)

pH 8.2

Calcium 380ppm

Temp 79F

Salinity 1.025

Phosphates were not detectable either.
I do weekly water changes.
Tank inhabitants include 2 small zoanthid colonies, a peppermint shrimp (he doesn't bother the anemone), a tailspot blenny, 2 nerite snails, and 2 astrea snails.
I'm running this light on the tank for 10 hours:
It has 16 3watt LEDS, which I felt would be sufficient for a rock flower anemone (my zoanthids have flourished). Any help or ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9089.jpeg
    IMG_9089.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 130

Ernest Sacco

Hey all! I have a pico that has been up and running for a few months and was seeded by my nano reef tank that I've had running for years. I dreamed of having a rock flower anemone garden but it's not working out so well for me... I started with 3 of the little guys and the first 2 died in the first 2 weeks, which was due to an ammonia spike that came with stocking the tank for the first time. The entire tank was a mess actually…One anemone survived and was happily living in the tank until now. He has suddenly bleached or at least lost all color and has declined rapidly. Tank parameters are near perfect, I feed him mysis once a week.

4g Pico that’s 3+ months old and was seeded by my several year old nano tank:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate <5ppm (a little high but not enough that I’d think it would kill a rock flower)

pH 8.2

Calcium 380ppm

Temp 79F

Salinity 1.025

Phosphates were not detectable either.
I do weekly water changes.
Tank inhabitants include 2 small zoanthid colonies, a peppermint shrimp (he doesn't bother the anemone), a tailspot blenny, 2 nerite snails, and 2 astrea snails.
I'm running this light on the tank for 10 hours:
It has 16 3watt LEDS, which I felt would be sufficient for a rock flower anemone (my zoanthids have flourished). Any help or ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I would worry now about that peppermint shrimp as I've never been able to keep my rock flowers safe around them....if you keep your parameters good you'd be amazed how resilient rock flowers can be....I had 3 of mine in a 30 gallon who had all of their tentacles bitten off by a file fish as well as generally not doing good to the point they were all dime size....in order to save them I had to basically rip them off the bottom of the tank and move them to my newish 60 cube....it took some time but after 4 months and leaving them mostly alone they look like this View media item 247818View media item 247825
All 3 are about half dollar size and growing....just give it time and focus on water parameters

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeteStevers
  • GetFreshedAquariums
  • Corals
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
Nanologist