Rock Flower Anemone Comparison

Nanologist

This is a thread for comparing and discussing my new love, rock flower anemones(RFA).

Like most corals and anemones the RFA looks very different under different lighting, so if posting RFAs of your own, if possible, please provide one picture of it under white light only, one under blue actinic only, and one under a mix. Also, list any pertinent information like if it's an ultra, if it has a name, if it tends to wander around the tank, if it has a host, or anything in particular that you'd like to share about your RFA for comparison.

I'll begin by showing my first three RFAs. These 3 haven't moved one bit since I introduced them to my IM10. They're standard RFAs fresh from the Caribbean and only about 2-3 inches in diameter when fully spread open. I've only had them about 2 weeks so I'm still learning a lot about their daily behavior.

White Light Only

IMG_1237.JPG

Mixed Light

IMG_1239.JPG

Blue Actinic Only

IMG_1228.JPG

I like how the bottom left RFA actually looks better under white or mixed light and also how it's tentacles are much more crimped than the others, like a bad perm from the 80's. You can see the purple much better in the white though. Both of the others are much more UV/blue reactive, so tend to get the wow factor. You kind of loose all definition in full blue actinic though. Like how the hermit crab near the bottom center just about disappears in full blue.

stella1979 you can see the grey Aquastik epoxy in the top right holding the greyish rock up and how I added some texture to it by poking it with tweezers and a toothpick.

Mike

I don't keep any of these rock flower anemones but just wanted to say that they look awesome under the actinics!

Nanologist

I don't keep any of these rock flower anemones but just wanted to say that they look awesome under the actinics!
Don't they!? I wish my camera could truly capture what our human eyes can, but none the less pictures of these guys alone are what made me want to have a garden of them. It's the variety in them is what intrigues me most. I'm hoping to cover the live rock with 10-12 total by the end of this year.

stella1979

This should be a fun thread. Hope we can get some of the less active salties in on this too!

I have two RFA's along with a bunch of little corals in a 20 gallon long. It's a little scary having these moving killers in a reef tank, but I just love them too much and hope to have another 1 or 2 and gather them all near to each other in the sand someday. It'll be a minI RFA garden in my nano mixed reef!

Right now, one of my RFA's is just where I want him. I call him the Grinch because he's mostly red & green. He was my first RFA and I thought I wanted him on the front of a large rock in the tank. He would move around a bit, but nothing major. So, I got another, who I think of as Santa, because he's sort of red and white. This guy was much like the first, in that, they moved slightly, like they weren't completely happy with their spot in the tank, but they weren't causing any immediate concern.

Then, my tank almost crashed after a week long power outage post Hurricane Irma. No one was happy about that, and both of my RFA's moved to the back of the tank, where they could get the first bit of sunlight each day. After the lights came back on, my 2nd guy moved back over the top of the rock to the front.... and traveled right next to a tiny scroll coral. The scroll is half dead, but it's healthy area is still slowly growing. Honestly, I like the RFA better than the scroll, so I was happy to let him be.

The Grinch however, he just moved down, so he was still on the back of the rockscape, but at the very bottom, half on the sand. I could hardly see him and attempts to move him were futile. This went on for a while, but I knew I had to be patient and ready for whatever chance may arise.

About 2 weeks ago, the Grinch was on the move, and not quite as strongly attached as he otherwise would be. I went after him with a turkey baster for about 20 minutes, when finally his foot detached from the rock completely. I then placed him where I wanted him, and he seems happy there, though all the annoyance seems to have shrunk him a bit. He also didn't eat as much while he was in the back, so he's smaller than his younger brother right now.

To get them to detach, annoying them with flow is usually the best way with these guys. Manual removal from rocks often damages the foot, which may end up killing the anemone. If you can find them a happy spot in the sand, as long as it's not very deep, the RFA should reach through and attach to the bottom glass. Getting them off of glass is as easy as sliding a CC gently under the foot. So, one down.... one to go.

Santa is still in a main focal point on my rockscape. This of course means I can't place any corals nearby for the time being. He must move. I tried the turkey baster on him until my hand cramped, but this rock he's on is really bumpy and he balled up tight and stayed put, kind of protected by the bumps surrounding him. Next plan is to point a tiny nano pump at him and keep a close watch. I have 3 of these nano pumps... but all are being used in other tanks right now. Handy little things they are. Guess I need another.

So.... pics??? I'll need some new ones for official comparison, but here's a few old ones.

Back during their short time together, under blue lighting.
20170823_152912.jpg

The Grinch under mixed
20170915_202250.jpg

Santa, mixed lighting

20170924_150427.jpg
20171026_152513.jpg

As you can see, these guys can look very different, not only under different lighting, but from different angles as well as their spot in the tank with the play of light and shadow. That last pic is a fav because of the detail, but I don't really see him like that. He was on the move that day.

Nanologist

Amazing! stella1979 I love the names and that last pic is incredible.

Watching them open and close on a daily basis like an actual flower is really fun. Mine start to open from the light of the window in the morning, but the real lights don't turn on until 10am. They usually don't fully open until about an hour after that then and sometimes they do this thing where they act all sleepy and don't like the light so they close up when it first turns on then slowly start to open again...

Maybe one of us can get a time lapse video of it!

thesoulpatch

I'd love to set mine gopro up of my large red guy but I fear my dog being the hyper pup he is would knock over the stand....but I'll try and see what I can get during the weekend.

thesoulpatch

Here's my big red!

20180112_171655.jpg
20180112_171721.jpg

stella1979

Here we go guys...

Blues

20180112_193824_HDR.jpg
20180112_194125.jpg

Mixed...

20180112_193750_HDR.jpg
20180112_194109.jpg

Whites....

20180112_193807.jpg
20180112_194040.jpg

Nanologist

The Grinch looks good in any lighting. What a beautiful nem.

stella1979

Thanks GB! He's definitely a favorite to look at among everything in the tank. It was such a bummer to have him in the back for so long, but I am almost too excited every time I look now. He seems happy in his new spot too, so things couldn't have worked out better.

Nart

Wow. some great pics of your RFA's all.
I tried to get some good pics... but it's really hard with every RFA's angling. Also, with my gel filters it didn't show the right colors.
So I opt'd to not use any gel filters and had the RFA under blues to show you the colors I see in person as well. This is with the cell-phone zoomed in a bit.

My Ultra Red RFA

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

Not sure if my Ultra Red is different than the red RFA's u guys have. It's really hard to tell from pictures.
I also forgot to take pics of it in white lights... I was trying to chase for a good picture under blues.

Nanologist

It looks like the same colors as mine (in the middle of my pics) but larger and more magnificent! Mine hasn't fully spread out like that yet either. It stays kind of curly around the sides but that could be caused by the part of the rock it settled on.

Very nice! I'll have to get one larger ultra as a centerpiece for my garden.

A good pic I took tonight with no lens filter or photo doctoring. Just up close with an iPhone 7 and full blue Kessil A80.

2b2d1089c006b65d0ef7a2a28cd3636a.jpg

Here's what mine often look like at night:

f0f0c2f85f8b792a5f137eabf0743ede.jpg

HarryPotter

Whites

BzqDzNM.jpg

oI6Wva7.jpg

Culprit

Wow you've got a whole rock full! Are they all the same kind? Did they just split?

I don't have one.... yet! I have a spot staked out on the scape just for a few. They're so pretty!

HarryPotter

Wow you've got a whole rock full! Are they all the same kind? Did they just split?

I don't have one.... yet! I have a spot staked out on the scape just for a few. They're so pretty!

I got a 10 for $140 pack about a year and a half ago. Now I have around 15- but RFAs don't split. They spawn. Dirty sperm and egg style cloud up the tank every once and a while!

I know that seems odd because Bubble Tip anemones split, but RFAs don't.

stella1979

Not a very glamorous picture, but I thought I'd share my struggles with moving Santa, the firmly planted RFA.

20180204_132254.jpg
That's a nano pump pointed straight at his upper half and no more than 5 inches away. He hardly seemed fazed. I left the pump on him for 36 hours. During that time, I spent quite a while with the little pump in my hand, holding it much too close to this guy in an attempt to get him to release his foot. He would ball up completely then, and it looked like I could just blast him to pieces. I had the pump centimeters away, but never even saw his foot. It must be in one of the small holes in this FijI rock I have. I've seen some stories that nems might let you kill them before they let go, so after a day and a half, I gave up.

I still hate having him there though!!! The hubs is of the mind that we may feel more comfortable in knowing how unlikely it is that Santa will go roaming. It is now only 24 hours after the removal of the pump, and today, you wouldn't know that Santa was ever bothered. He was back to his proud, wide open self.

My advice? Always give these guys their own rock or put them in the sand. Don't forget that I have a scroll coral frag that is half dead thanks to this guy. I don't love the scroll, and I do love Santa.... but not as much as the mille or porites that are too close to him.

Nanologist

HarryPotter - Do the babies always resemble the parents or have they been random in colors? How often have yours reproduced?

stella1979 - Santa sure is persistent... lol I've heard of people having to break the rock or chisel around them to get them out.

HarryPotter

HarryPotter - Do the babies always resemble the parents or have they been random in colors? How often have yours reproduced?

stella1979 - Santa sure is persistent... lol I've heard of people having to break the rock or chisel around them to get them out.

Color is random. "How often" is a hard thing to know, but in the year and a half I've head them I went from 10 to about 15-17. So 10 anemones made 6 more in 18 months. Or one anemone makes .6 in 18 months. I don't know

xiholdtruex

stella1979

spoke with vip today and they told me that once a RFA sticks to a rock you can't unstick it, they have in the past taken a pair of bone cutter pliers and had to cut the rock around it to get it to unstick, or like Nano said take a chisel to the rock

not a comparison per say but how often does everyone feed there nems?

HarryPotter

not a comparison per say but how often does everyone feed there nems?

How big do you want them to get?

xiholdtruex

How big do you want them to get?
I would like them to be healthy and grow to there potential.

stella1979

Some RFA's can grow to about a foot across so I'm unsure that you want them to get that big. I feed mine 2-3 times a week and they've grown. One was barely bigger than a quarter and has more than doubled in size in the last 6 months or so. Of course that's the one whose stuck on my rock. I haven't purposely fed it in over a month, and it's still healthy as can be and has a seriously firm grip on the rock.

xiholdtruex

I plan to get a another bigger salty tank eventually.if they grow to big I can just move them over. Purposly only placed 1 per rock because of this. I was planning to feed once a week and try starting with some mysis shrimp. Just want to make sure I'm not under feeding lol

xiholdtruex

Some RFA's can grow to about a foot across so I'm unsure that you want them to get that big. I feed mine 2-3 times a week and they've grown. One was barely bigger than a quarter and has more than doubled in size in the last 6 months or so. Of course that's the one whose stuck on my rock. I haven't purposely fed it in over a month, and it's still healthy as can be and has a seriously firm grip on the rock.
Vip was telling me that they never really feed the smaller ones they just take the scraps from feeding the fish. And they feed the bigger ones once a week a qhole silver side and they swallow it up

stella1979

OK, well neither of mine are as big as some of the big guys in the hippy tank, but they do pretty well on mysis and brine shrimp. I feed my fish individual shrimps with tongs, so there isn't much extra on a daily basis or anything.

xiholdtruex

Those guys are giants lol but your sant and grinch are gangsters no need for such big ones

HarryPotter

I don't spot feed my RFAs, they stay about three inches in diameter.

xiholdtruex

I don't spot feed my RFAs, they stay about three inches in diameter.

do they just take scraps? do you any porcelincrabs living with them?

HarryPotter

do they just take scraps? do you any porcelincrabs living with them?

They must take tiny particulates from the water, or maybe the occasional piece of mysis I feed the fish. Negative on crabs.

Nanologist

I feed mine 3-5 mysis once a week so far. I've seen them catch some that Petal missed if it doesn't get sucked into the overflow first.

Many get away without spot feeding in established tanks, but rock flower nems benefit from it since they don't rely on their photosynthetic zooxanthellae as much as other nems. Keeping them well fed also increases the chance of them reproducing.

xiholdtruex

I feed mine 3-5 mysis once a week so far. I've seen them catch some that Petal missed if it doesn't get sucked into the overflow first.

Many get away without spot feeding in established tanks, but rock flower nems benefit from it since they don't rely on their photosynthetic zooxanthellae as much as other nems. Keeping them well fed also increases the chance of them reproducing.
Has your porcelin crab hosted on them yet?

Nanologist

Has your porcelin crab hosted on them yet?
He's been spotted underneath them at night but always disappears during the day. Since I added more live rock I haven't seen him at all actually... for all I know he's hanging out with the one that migrated to the bottom back side out of sight.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Floundering_Around
  • Anemones
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
Wild Bill