Rock Cement

rugerjr

What is the good stuff to use for rock formations as far as epoxy or cement to keep the rocks bonded together? When I did my first two tanks, I used the 2 part epoxy in the tube. This tank is not taking to it for some reason. It doesn’t even almost work. I’ve lost so much in corals due to snails knocking rocks off the stack.

DutchAquarium

I use the live rock putty and texture it. I then pull the rocks apart apart since this isn't super strong and super glue them together. the putty is sort of a tool just to get the mold while the super glue is the bonding agent.

stella1979

Indeed, the epoxy is more for filling a space and not good for actually 'sticking' things together. I have a pretty simple scape and unbelievably, superglue alone has held the smaller rocks together for over a year and a half now. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have used the method proposed by DutchAquarium , which I call the sandwich. I do use the sandwich method for attaching corals to my scape.

Think of the glue like it's the bread... it should go on both (or all) sides of the epoxy... which is the filling in our sandwich. I use the Aquastik 2-part epoxy by 2 Little Fishies and have to work kinda fast because it sets hard in just a couple of minutes. Preparation is key so I set up a workspace with all parts needed before mixing the epoxy. This would be your rocks, the epoxy, super glue gel with the cap off (and having made sure the opening is clear and glue will flow), and a towel and whatever else needed complete the project and contain the mess. After mixing the epoxy, it's molded by pressing it in place between the rocks... like we're sticking them together, but then the rocks are pulled apart, the epoxy is removed, covered in glue, then replaced. Hold the rocks together for a minute, nice and steady, then presto, the job's done.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
Tony_097
Replies
Views