Rock caves and super glue

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, around here aquarium decor is extremely expensive! And so I like using, more budget wise stuff, I currently have some plastic plants in my tank, and some clay pots. I love the look of my clay pots, they were cheap, about 2bucks each and they look beautiful. Everyone thinks they are awesome and my fish love them too.

But I have a really nice beach near my house and would absolutely love to make a cave with some of the beautiful rocks from there. But I need something to glue them together, so I'm wondering can I use super glue if I let it dry for a good few days?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im not sure if super glue would be aquarium safe, I think it would be worth it to get the aquarium silicone just for the peace of mind.

Clay pots are perfect for aquariums, I know a lot of people around here use them. You can make some pretty cool stuff out of coconut shells and pvc pipes. Aquarium silicone can be used to coat the pvc in gravel from your aquarium to give it a more natural look. I saw a good DIY site a while ago with some neat ideas for caves and such, Ill try and find you the link

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bass master said:
Im not sure if super glue would be aquarium safe, I think it would be worth it to get the aquarium silicone just for the peace of mind.

Clay pots are perfect for aquariums, I know a lot of people around here use them. You can make some pretty cool stuff out of coconut shells and pvc pipes. Aquarium silicone can be used to coat the pvc in gravel from your aquarium to give it a more natural look. I saw a good DIY site a while ago with some neat ideas for caves and such, Ill try and find you the link
Thanx

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 on using Aquarium silicone.

I'd be a little cautious using rocks from the beach though. Some of these rocks can result in increased pH levels. You can test the suitability of the rocks by dropping 1-2 drops of white vinegar on them. If they fizz, I wouldn't recommend them in a freshwater setup.

You'd also need to really clean the rocks to remove any nasties. Boiling the rocks, scrubbing with a new never seen detergent scrubbing brush etc.

Good luck with everything.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ryanr said:
I'd be a little cautious using rocks from the beach though. Some of these rocks can result in increased pH levels. You can test the suitability of the rocks by dropping 1-2 drops of white vinegar on them. If they fizz, I wouldn't recommend them in a freshwater setup.
I respectfully disagree with this, there is a time and place for those types of rocks.

They will raise pH, KH, and hardness, but wont really cause any other problems. If youre trying to keep your water soft with a low pH, I wouldnt recommend them, but if your fish dont mind hard water with a higher pH, they are fine and will help stabilize your water's pH.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you very much ryanr and bass master. Great technique from ryanr and bass master that was very informative.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I love clay pots too and so do my fish. I have photos and a video in my profile if you care to take a look.

From what I understand and from the information in the link below, Super Glue is safe for aquarium use. However, I have not used it myself.

I would recommend Silicone too.

Ken

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hot glue also works really great when I did my last water change awhile ago I was cleaning one of my decorations and the plant fell off so I just used hot glue and I haven't had any problems

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads