ROAK: Floating Plants!

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Prize: Frogbit/Duckweed

5 people can win if enough entries are made! Winners pays for shipping

How to enter: Describe how you got into this hobby, any word length you'd like! If you have photos of your tanks when you originally started out and photos of your current tanks, that'd be great!

Deadline: Friday, April 27th at NOON Eastern Standard Time.

[​IMG]

2. stashattack Member Member

I got into the hobby mostly because of my boy, sweet-lu84, and his awesome angel tank. I bought a beta and put him a bowl before I new anything about the nitrogen cycle. Then I decided to put him in a 2.5 uncycled tank which ended up being the death of beautiful Franco. Then while I was away, said boy surprised me with a 10g tank while I was on vacation, and placed all of his non-angel fish in it so he could breed and gave the tank to me! We also went out got and got me some espis to complete the tank.

Now I find myself lurking all over fishlore, starting plants, and wanting more tanks/fish. I have throughly become addicted.

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I got into the hobby cuz my doctor said it can help with my stress levels. I started with a 10 gallon that I cycled with TSS it has Java moss and Java fern. I did have a breeding pair of guppies but I loss my male due to him jumping out of the tank during cleaning. I now have a 5 gallon for fry, a 3 gallon Betta, and a 75 gallon that I hope well be cycled by mid May. I am also looking for a 29 gallon but yet to find the right one.

4. cameronpalte Member Member

I got in this hobby because of Persian New Year. Persian New Year says to put some goldfish in a bowl for good luck. The 4 goldfish were kept in a 1 gallon bowl and after 2 deaths I asked my mom if I could put them in a 20g. The PET Co said besides the 2 I already had, I could add 2 more so I had a total of 4. After much begging and good grades she finally got me the 20g tank. After watching the goldfish swim some with the 4 goldfish in the 20g tank, I fell in love and came to this forum to learn at this forum. I realized how much I didn't know and fell in love more and now I have a 55g with 5 fish (recovering from columnaris attack) and a nice 10g tank with 19 6 day old fry. Thats not a lot and I made many mistakes so now I am working on doing the best I can. I am currently interested in changing my 55g into a planted which is why I'm interested in this thread. Thanks for reading!

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I got into the hobby because my mom and dad turned my betta into a popsicle when I was a kid. We were moving and they had it in a tupperware container and thought it would be ok to leave it in the car while we stayed in a hotel overnight. The weather dropped to freezing and my beautiful red betta was frozen solid.

Fast forward a few years and my own son asks for a fish. I thought "I can certainly do better than they did!". I went out and thought I was doing a great job by putting the betta in a 2.5 gallon uncycled tank. When I started having issues with fin rot, I came to fishlore for answers and now I am addicted to this hobby. I started with one betta in a 2.5 gallon and that turned into six tanks and that orignal betta is now in his own 7.5 gallon cycled aquarium and is recovering from the trauma I put him through when I first started and had no idea what I was doing. "Spiderman" my son's betta is now thriving not just surviving.

037.jpg 006.jpg

6. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Great stories so far, guys! Keep them coming!

Quickie RAOK! The first one to identify what this plant is will become an automatic winner for some floating plants!

What is this?

[​IMG]

7. Legures Member Member

Is it Marsilea drummondii?

8. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Good guess, but nope.

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
    i have some myself :)
    i dont think you planted it right by the way. you should leave the stems above the substrate or atleast i do.

10. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Very good! :) I think it's either that or Hydrocotyle triparatia, but it is definitely a Hydrocotyle plant. I saw someone on another forum plant them like this and theirs turned out great-looking so hopefully mine will too. It's pretty difficult since their stems are so short.

11. cameronpalte Member Member

Does that mean they auto win or can we win to? you said whoever guesses win so is that a separate contest or can we win to.

12. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I dont really need floating olants though so ill give em to the first persob who guessed.

13. Legures Member Member

Would that be me? :;nin2

If so that'd be super cool because I just bought something from ZeeZ this afternoon and is paying for the shipping because of my order anyways. :;banaman

14. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

It means one of the 5 winners has won this guessing game because they guessed right. :) Now there will be 4 winners left... but I don't know if there will be since there haven't been many entries yet.

Yup, that would be you. That makes things easier. :) I can just toss them in with the rest of your order.

15. Legures Member Member

That would be great. I was actually in a dilemma earlier of getting some Frogbit from you or not :p

16. slashgash Member Member

I got into the hobby because as a kid I was always told I was not allowed any fish. I won 2 bettas once from a carnival and was allowed to keep them in bowls ontop of my dresser but that was it. When they died I was allowed no more. So, when I moved out the first thing I did was buy a 5 gallon fish tank. I had knew not a thing about fish, so I bought 8 guppies, an african dwarf frog, a mystery snail, a common pleco, a female betta, and 3 ghost catfish and crammed them all in that little tank at once. I was wondering why my fish kept dying. I eventually stumbled across this site and learned what I was doing wrong.

17. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Okay, guys. After some deliberation, it's time to announce the winners. I'm very sorry to those who didn't win. All of you had great stories, so don't feel bad if you lost! There's always next time! Don't be discouraged.

Since only a few entries were made, the only winner is Legures...

Just kidding! Every one of you has won! Everybody who entered this contest is a winner. :)

18. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

congrats everyone

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's great Zeez!
    Congrats everyone!!

20. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Several of you have not answered my PMs, so I haven't shipped your prizes out. :( Hopefully if you haven't gotten yours yet, you'll see this and get in touch with me.