RO water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mikee86, Aug 2, 2015.

1. mikee86

mikee86Valued MemberMember

Anyone have experience with RO water? I am currently using tap water. I spoke to my LFS and they say my plants are not growing because of my tap water conditions. I test for ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate, pH, phosphate, carbonate hardness, general hardness. It is a 5.5 gallon tank CO2 injected highly lighted with quality substrate and dose liquid fert. I am still having issues growing my dwarf hairgrass the only thing that I can think of now is that my tapwater is too hard to grow the plants. Will RO help?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Ro has no minerals in the water. To grow plants you'll have to add a supplement such as replenish back to the water.

3. OP
    OP
    mikee86

Whats going to do to my pH and my KH

4. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, can you please list the results you got for all those tests?

5. OP
    OP
    mikee86

0 ammonia/ nitrite
    30ppm nitrate
    7.6 ph
    12 drops gh
    9 drops kh
    .25 phosphate

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Your DWG isn't growing because you don't have enough light, or dry ferts, or pressurized CO2. The CO2 system you have is not sufficient. As far as I can tell, those are basically a gimmick Fluval uses to make money.

It is not a easy beginner plant. Until you have the right set up, it will not carpet for you. It has nothing to do with the water.

7. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I don't have enough light for my dhg however I just ordered an extra light. It is carpeting under not ideal situations but it's taking a LONG time

8. OP
    OP
    mikee86

I have a finnex planted plus 10" cliplight for a 5.5 gallon it should be more than enough

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  9. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You are probably tired of seeing me in your threads, but it's obviously not enough light. If you have a carpeting plant, like DWG, there are things it is going to need to grow and thrive. I'm sorry to tell you, you don't have these things. You can sit back and wait for it to spread out, but it is going to take awhile like @Jswin mentioned.

The fact that is still alive but not carpeting like you want is a clear indicator you do not have enough light. When you get more light, you will need more fertilizer so the plants can grow and out compete the algae for the energy they get from the light. This is where the dry ferts come into play. That way you know what and how much of it your are adding. Then you will also need a good, consistent supply of CO2. I know you have one of those Fluval kits. I'm honestly not sure how those work. But when I see what they charge for the refill cartridges, I can't believe anyone would want to be constantly buying them. I get 10 pounds of CO2 for $25. It cost more to get a few ounces from Fluval. You need to have at least 30ppm of CO2 in the tank. Do those kits have anyway for you to know how much CO2 is in the water?

When you want to get into carpeting plants you are much better off spending between $150 and $200 on a full size bottle and regulator. After that, depending on the size of tank, about once a year, spend $25 on CO2. This is a much more economical, and consistent way of getting CO2 to your plants.

That along with lighting, which you need, and a good substrate, which you have, added with the EI dosing of dry ferts, will get the results you want.

With what you have, I honestly don't think you will ever get what you are looking for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice