Ro Water For Top Off In Shrimp Tank?

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

For topping off evaporation between water changes, should I be using RO or distilled water, or since my tap water has low TDS and similar parameters, would I be alright just using that?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

It would depend upon the pH (I assume you are adding calcium)

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

What is the water in the tank? If treated RO, you top of with untreated RO.

4. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Out of tap my pH is about 6.7, substrate buffers to 6.0. The tank is empty as of now but I have mineral stones that do raise pH and KH a bit and provide calcium.

The water I am using is straight from my tap. No chlorine or heavy metals, pH of 6.7, KH of 6, GH of 7, TDS of about 95. Substrate buffers pH to 6.0 and KH to 4, respectively.

5. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Then I say you simply top of with your tap water. Are you making weekly water changes or just the top off. If its just the top off, it gets a little bit more complicated. You should top with RO when values are fine and top with tap when you see a decrease but this is not an ideal situation.

What kind of shrimp?

6. KimberlyG

I only ask because everyone thinks RO has a netrual pH of 7. If you open the bottle and let the CO2 gas off, it can sometimes be only 6, I heard some people report close to 5. That can make a big difference. When my water source was bad and I had to buy RO, that source gassed off to 6.2 and I had to buffer it.

7. KeeperOfASilentWorld

When CO2 gasses off the ph rises. RO should have 7 because it is lacking any form of minerals, in other words neutral. You should always be buffering RO because plain RO is not something you could put in a tank.

What kind of a bottle opening are you talking about? RO water comes from a RO unit, I am confused.

8. KimberlyG

I bought RO from a LFS. I didn't have a RO unit. It was straight from their RO unit to the bottles. Those were the test results when I opened the bottles and let it sit overnight. I asked the store about it way back when, they said it wasn't unusual.
    And yes, everyone knows you need to buffer RO. It was for my mbuna tank so everything needed to be tested before buffering so I knew how much buffer and salt to add.
    I was about to hit the "Post Reply" button but went to do a little investigating. I can across severl sites that listed typical RO pH values a 5-7.

9. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I plan on doing weekly changes of at least 25%

It is only a 3.3 gallon nano.

I am considering blue velvet shrimp but may just try rcs since they are considerably cheaper.

10. KeeperOfASilentWorld

But I guess this won't be an issue after buffering it to say kh 4 gh 6?

Tap water all the way!

11. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

So even for evaporation (it has a glass lid) tap water is fine?

12. KimberlyG

Unfortunately I had a difficult time. I had to get it to 10. I was was very pleased when the village put in a new water supply. No heavy metals, a pH of 8.0 and kH of 16. The fish have done fine for 3 years. (there are some fish I can not keep, but the african cichlids do great.)
    If Fahn can use his conditioned tap water, I would suggest that. I found that my water change schedule was suffering because I had to make that hour trip and lug around 25 gallons of water.