RO units: what's desirable/undesirable in one? gallons per day? etc.

1. Akeath Member Member

I'm thinking about eventually getting a Reverse Osmosis unit. I want it to mix with my tap water in my 75 gallon freshwater tank; the tap water is at least 8.6 pH and 10 dGH. I want to get the water in my tank down to 6.5-6.9 pH (there is some bogwood in my tank too, which helps slightly). However, I'm not sure what to look for in a RO unit, I have no idea what is necessary, desirable, or just fancy. Could someone please help me? Also, is there any way I can get a rough idea of what parts of RO water I'd need per part of tap water? I'm very new to the idea of an RO unit.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Try eBay. I bought the Coralife 50 GPD 3 stage, and IMO it is overpriced for what you get.

I use RO/DI only for my reef tank and tap water for my FW tanks, so I can't help you with the ratio that you'd want.

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I bought an APEC countertop model that hooks to my sink....I fill 2 - 6 gallon buckets at a with it. Depending on water pressure I get approx 6 -7 gallons and hour. So 2 hours for 12 -14 gallons. The price was approx $250.00
    I am very happy with it but if I had to do it again I would find one that is a bit faster for fill ups.
    It is rated at 90 gallons a day @ 60 psi. Wouldn't be too bad if I could fill a large tank...but doing 2 bucks wastes about 2 hours waiting.

oops a typo: the company is APEC.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. My experience with an RO unit was not a good one. I have well water and there just wasn't enough psi (water pressure) for it to be worth my time.
    Ken

5. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I just purchased a small unit, a 35gpd RO unit from Seachem (Pinnacle Series). I expect to receive it next month (coming by ship) install it and use it in what will probably be my major project for 2010: Discus Planted tank. I also purchased Seachem Equilibrium for it.

No idea how to use the unit but I read a booster pump might be needed for the automatic shot-off valve to function (it needs >60psi to work).

Please post your experience with yours.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo