Ro Di Water Question Ahout Kh And Gh

MTrauger
So I have ro water in my house for my aquariums and must have it because the nitrates are 80ppm and my water goes through a water softener (Salt). So my question is, how much Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer will I need to add to get to a desired range for soft water fish (Lets say angels, tetras, etc). I don't need a scientific explanation, just the amount I will need to add for lets say 10 gallons.
Thanks!
MT

AquaticJ
It’s not going to be good for your fish to have the salt based water softener.

MTrauger
It’s not going to be good for your fish to have the salt based water softener.
After it goes through the ro system it will be fine, correct? That is precisely why I CANT mix ro and tap. Correct?

davidt39
I use ShrimpMineral GH/KH+ for my RO water. Directions indicate that 4 grams added for 5 gallons. That would equal .8 of a teaspoon, so for 10 gallons you would add 10 grams or 1.6 teaspoons. Mix in a small cup of water and then add to the RO water. Good luck.

AquaticJ
Okay I gotcha, so you added that on after the water softener. Cool, you’re fine then. As far as the remineralizing, the bottle will tell you exactly. I know for each tablespoon of Equilibrium, it raises the GH of 20 gallons by 3. So for a 10, each half a TABLEspoon will raise the GH by 3. For alkaline buffer, each half a TEAspoon will raise KH by 2.8.

MTrauger
Okay I gotcha, so you added that on after the water softener. Cool, you’re fine then. As far as the remineralizing, the bottle will tell you exactly. I know for each tablespoon of Equilibrium, it raises the GH of 20 gallons by 3. So for a 10, each half a TABLEspoon will raise the GH by 3. For alkaline buffer, each half a TEAspoon will raise KH by 2.8.
Yup yuppp

I use ShrimpMineral GH/KH+ for my RO water. Directions indicate that 4 grams added for 5 gallons. That would equal .8 of a teaspoon, so for 10 gallons you would add 10 grams or 1.6 teaspoons. Mix in a small cup of water and then add to the RO water. Good luck.
In your experiece, does this work pretty well??

davidt39
Yes, it does.

MTrauger
Yes, it does.
That seems like it would get quite expensive as just 100 grams is 25 dollars or so. Does this happen with you?

davidt39
I bought 100 grams for $21.89 on eBay with free shipping. If you’re just using it in a 10 gallon tank, it should last you a while.

MTrauger
I bought 100 grams for $21.89 on eBay with free shipping. If you’re just using it in a 10 gallon tank, it should last you a while.
Id be using it in a 10 gallon, 29 gallon, and 20

davidt39
Also, I don’t have a water softener problem as you do. I can mix my RO water with some tap water.

Equilibrium would definitely be cheaper for you. I bought ShrimpMineral because it was specifically recommended for RO water being used for my dwarf cherry shrimp. However, I also use it for my RO water for my fish. I should probably buy Equilibrium to use just for my fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
inari
Replies
Views
chodovet
Replies
Views