ro/di water for African cichlid tank

1. bwreynolds Member Member

After doing a water change I have lost two fish... I then did a larger water change and lost three more then I noticed my tap water is yellow and rusty... I have a ro/di unit for my salt tank would it be ok to use this for water changes? I know tap water has minerals and what not that helps them but Idk what else to do

2. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

African Cichlids ( I am assuming you have lake Malawi Cichlids ) require a high Ph of 8.2.
    Your RO/DI unit will remove most if not all the trace elements and calcium that make up the 8.2 Ph so you should not use it directly.
    The only way to use the RO Unit, is to store the water you intend to use for water changes in a barrel which has a large amount of Limestone in it.
    This will take the Ph to 8.2 and buffer it at that.
    Just fill the barrel a few days before your W/C, check the Ph prior to the W/C and away you go.
    This will also get rid of the tap water issue

3. bwreynolds Member Member

What if my tank is full of limestone

4. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

If your actual tank has a load of limestone in it , then thats really good for malawi Mbuna as its the habitat they thrive in.
    The limestone will buffer the tank to the pefect 8.2 for the mbuna, but you will still have to use a barrel for the W/C, or you may run the risk of shocking your fish with Ph fluctuation stress

5. bwreynolds Member Member

Gotcha... I really appreciate the help... So the ph is the only thing to worry about while using the ro/di?

6. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

if you use the limestone and RO/DI , then the stone will leach out all the calcium and trace minerals required to make the perfect Ph, Gh and Kh for mbuna.

7. bwreynolds Member Member

Ok great thank you

8. fishguy1955 Initiate Member

Aragonite crushed coral also raises and buffers pH to 8.2 and for treating in a barrel will likely work much faster than limestone as it has a ridiculous overall surface area due to the crags and crannies. Add strong aeration as well.