RO/DI unit question

1. ucdcrew Member Member

So, I'm not sure I understand where people set up the RO/DI unit at. Do you set it up at the sink, or ????

For water changes, how do most people do it? With freshwater I had the python thing that works on the venturi effect to clean the tank and then refill it. Then I'd dose it with prime. Since you have to mix saltwater first, this won't work I don't think.

2. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Typically the directions say where you need to put them, but most of the time they have an adapter that connects to the faucet, then they will take it from the faucet... I am NOT 100% sure on this, maybe someone can quote me on this... The water changes are usually done in "circulation cans", one for freshwater, one for saltwater... again NOT sure... just trying to give you an idea here/ give you a response.

Hope this help!!!!

3. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Oh btw, circulation cans are just big cans that hold your ro/di water, but you put circulation pumps in them, so that way the water doesn't become stagnant.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

You can hook them up wherever there is a water line you can tap in to. No need to dose prime or any other chemicals since RO/DI water is pure water. I do 5 gallon bucket water changes. I use one bucket to remove 5 gallons of tank water and then use another bucket to add the 5 gallons of pre-prepared saltwater.

5. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

There are a multitude of ways to get water to your RO unit.

1) Simply attaching it to your faucet just like the python.
    2) You can also find an attachment to hook to a garden hose spigot.
    3) There's also an option to attach it to the water line under your sink. You should have shut off valves under your sink with the supply lines running up to the faucet. You would have to unscrew that supply line and attach an RO "t" fitting. The supply line would screw onto the other end of this fitting. The 't" part would be your RO line.
    4) If you have no other option then they have a piercing saddle valve. This option actually allows you to physically pierce into your copper water pipes and attach the RO line to it. This should only be a LAST resort because you are actually creating a permanent hole in your copper pipes.

I have a water spigot in my boiler room so that's the route I chose. I can leave my RO unit hooked up 24/7 without having to disassemble anything after making water. I don't run water through the unit 24/7 though. I only turn the water on when needed.

As for making water, my best advise is to get a larger container. Something like a 55 gallon grey brute container. This will allow you to make a large amount of water in one sitting instead of having to make 5 gallon batches frequently. You can simply store the water when you are done with it. This is also a great option because you will have extra water on hand in case you need to make an immediate water change.