River Tank

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mornin y'all,

So those of you who follow me or have gotten a reply to your post or have seen some of my experiments are probably not surprised when I say I get bored and tinker with things.

My newest tinkering...a river tank. So I went to a buddy of mines house who has a creek and scavenged some mud and mud/sand mix. Drained my 40 breeder that I have been running with pool filter sand substrate and removed the sand. Then add the mud. Yes I chemically tested the mud and let it sit in water and tested the water and the chemistry is good.

Put all my rocks back in that my son pucked up a few years ago out back and refilled. Oh the cloudiness ensued. 9 polyfill change outs on my polisher and 18 hours later things are looking good.

Had to toss some shrimp in for The Dude and Mr Lobstah (Amy named him not me but shes pretty and smells nice so I listen to her lol!)

If you notice this is the only tank of mine you will see with a HOB. Mostly because I hadn't built a sump system for it yet due to project car, work, kids and a couple massive tank builds for customers.

Sump to be built today:

20 gallon tall (offer up $10)
Baffles and strainer tray made of acrylic (I have tons laying around so free)
Lava rock ($10 a bag of 50lbs at the hardware store)
Danner PM 700 (Amazon $80)

Heaters I'm using my titanium heaters again since I got a bunch of them laying around.

So far its been pretty easy doing the change over. Next time I do it ill run dual polishers and probably have the sump running already.

My bad....
20190908_095835.jpg

20190908_095739.jpg

20190908_095734.jpg

20190908_095729.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very cool looking!! What are you planning on adding to it? Are you also planning on planting it? Would be nice to find some plants from the same creek that you got the mud from if there were any. Definitely interested in how it turns out. Nice job!!

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Very cool looking!! What are you planning on adding to it? Are you also planning on planting it? Would be nice to find some plants from the same creek that you got the mud from if there were any. Definitely interested in how it turns out. Nice job!!
Well right now I have a blue crayfish (Mr Lobstah) and a juvenile male Green Terror (The Dude) in there. The Dude is one of Leviticus and Athena's spawn and the two of them get along like peas and carrots. I'll probably add some java fern and maybe try Amazon sword in there again. Mr Lobstah ate all the Amazon sword I had in there when it was sand substrate.

Fishcat

Well Known
Reaction score
Looking good! I see Mr. Lobstah hanging out in the back in the second picture.

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update on the river tank. Cycling was quick since I used a bag of my lava rock from the south American system day tank downstairs. Ran my polishers for about a week to remove suspended solids. Ive shifted water testing to my normal schedule now:

NH3: daily
NO-: daily
NO2-: daily
pH: weekly
Conductivity: weekly
TDS: monthly
PO4: monthly
KH: monthly
GH: monthly
Color/suspended solids: every sample

Mr Lobstah and the Dude are doing well and have made new territories in the new environment. Their current diet has remained the same as my South American system.

Chopped gulf shrimp soaked in garlic
Chopped tilapia
Nightcrawlers for a treat
Feeder fish for a treat(I won't say what I use since it really bothers some people)

The South American system does get some HikarI Gold giant cichlid sticks because they like them, the Dude and Mr Lobstah are snobby and refuse them.

Today I will be adding Amazon sword from my garden tank. Had to go back to work late last night for some issues so I'm getting a very late start today.

20190921_100245.jpg
20190921_100240.jpg
20190921_100223.jpg
20190921_100215.jpg
20190921_100208.jpg

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Cleared up nicely looking good!! Do you have fish in there also or just the shelled fellas:)
Mr Lobstah (I'm southern but my Mermaid is from Rhode Island) is a Blue Crayfish. The Dude is a Green Terror. Whats really intresting is the the Dude will grab food and take it to Mr Lobstah when he is doing molting prep and he actually stands guard over him when he is molting. Mr Lobstah shares fish he catches with The Dude. Just amazing to see two completely diffrent species working in absolute harmony. Ive been tossing around the idea of adding a school of something from the Amazon basin but they are both very aggressive to outsiders.

One of the feeder fish I use doesn't last long in the tank and some people think it is an aggressive fish. Hence why I use them. It gives the dude a bit of sport.

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
Mr Lobstah (I'm southern but my Mermaid is from Rhode Island) is a Blue Crayfish. The Dude is a Green Terror. Whats really intresting is the the Dude will grab food and take it to Mr Lobstah when he is doing molting prep and he actually stands guard over him when he is molting. Mr Lobstah shares fish he catches with The Dude. Just amazing to see two completely diffrent species working in absolute harmony. Ive been tossing around the idea of adding a school of something from the Amazon basin but they are both very aggressive to outsiders.

One of the feeder fish I use doesn't last long in the tank and some people think it is an aggressive fish. Hence why I use them. It gives the dude a bit of sport.
Incidentally the Dudes parents live downstairs in the amazon system and the Male (Leviticus) is now 12" and the female (Diana) is 6". Diana is one of my most aggressive Green Terrors and all of her offspring display excellent Green Terror coloring and behavioral traits.

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
That’s awesome!! Especially like u said the way they work together must be quite a sight to see... if you did do a school what would u try? Buneos Aries or Colombian tetras ?
That or some rasboras and hatchet fish. Problem is in all my experience with Cichlids they will hunt anything else down and eat it. Might have to do a test in the name of science lol.

OP
NavyChief20

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Incidentally,

For those that have wondered before:

Can a Jack Dempsey and Green Terror be in the same tank??

Yes, yes they can. Also they get along pretty well too.

Added some Amazon Sword, looked at hatchet fish and some other schools, the stock at my local store was kinda meh so ill be hitting up the specialty fish store in Westerly probably tomorrow. They will live in quarantine for about a week before they go to the River Tank. Not much to report really, spent a few hours this morning doing 1200 gallons of water changes on the other systems and built new spray bars for the secret project. Heres a hint, it rhymes with Pacu.
20190922_182805.jpg

New Threads