River Stones For My Goldfish Tank ? Also Pump Needed ?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Goldfishgirlgirl, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Goldfishgirlgirl

Goldfishgirlgirl Well Known Member Member

im shopping for the rocks for my newly purchased 75g goldfish tank. I want to create a clean look ( no live or fake plants) . I actually bought some rocks from our local aquarium but I kinda regretted and wanted to return as the rocks I got have sharp edges. I'm afraid they may hurt the goldfish. Could I get a bag of river stone from a garden centre and put them in the tank ?

How do I clean them ? Are they safe to use or I have to get the rocks from the aquarium store just to be safe ?

2nd question , I bought this relatively expensive filter 100gl/hr from this aquarium store ( the one placed inside of the stand - highly recommended by the staff - I hope it's not because he wants his commission ) , but he did say I don't need a pump at all as the good filter does provide enough oxygen so the pump (bubbles) is really for decoration purposes only .. Should I trust ?

I plan to get around 5 goldfish in this tank

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The rocks should be fine. Put a little vinegar on each rock. If it bubbles it is not safe, if it does nothing then it's safe. Rinse the rocks before putting them in the tank.

For a 75 gallon goldfish tank you need a 750 GPH filter minimum. 100 GPH is not going to cut it. But anyway if there is plenty of surface agitation then you don't need an airpump.

5 Fancy goldfish or singletails? I would do 3 fancies but 4 maximum. The general rule for stocking fancies is 20 gallons per fish.

3. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

Can you list the specific filter, my 10 gallon tank has a filter 100gl/hr
    You should on average have a flow rate 10 times larger than your gallon size
    75G- 750 gl/hr

Attached Files:

4. Angelfishlover123124125

Angelfishlover123124125 Valued Member Member

I have a 100g goldfish tank with just 8 very young fan tails and it has no pump.For my fish it's fine.

5. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Think OP is talking about a canister filter as it goes in the tank stand.

6. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Yeah the rocks should be fine personally I would boil them

7. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Here are the details of the filter I bought . Is it enough for the 4 fancy goldfish I plan to buy without pump ??

Attached Files:

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I personally think it depends on which Fancy Goldfish you would like to keep, If you wanted a range of Fancies like 2 Oranda (8-9") , 2 lionheads (5") , 1 Ranchu (5"), I think 5 is okay in a 75g but if you wanted all Orandas then I would only do 4 maximum.

The Fuval 406 (383gal/h) is exactly what I have on my 75g Fancy goldfish tank with a AC 50 as a HOB to great more surface agitation and obviously extra media. so I would recommend adding a hang on the back filter to help with surface agitation and extra filtration.

In my 75g I have 5 FANCY goldfish.

1 Blue Oranda
    1 Red Cap Oranda
    1 Ranchu
    2 Lionhead

also don't forget to feed a good staple pellet such as Omega one goldfish pellets (pre soack them in a cup of aquarium water for few mins before feeding) Goldfish need more veggies then they do protein in their diet so atleast 2-3 times a week you should Feed boiled veggies such as brocoli, spinach , zucchini , carrots ect. VERY improtant to feed them once a week boiled de shelled peas to help with digestion , and you could also give ONCE a week frozen bloodworms or Brine shrimp.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I think that should be fine; it's gph is 383 which is the "just right" chair for filtration. However, I do recommend running a large sponge filter (you don't anything crazy fancy, but you will need a pump if it doesnt come with one) or extra HOB to help boost the gph a bit as well as provide the extra oxygen; goldfish are very oxygen dependent.

But this is also dependent on the goldfish;what kind are you getting?

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That filter is 385 gallons per hour. Personally I'd do a bit more but it should be ok as it is a canister. Maybe add an internal filter.

11. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

I want to get 2 lionhead, 1 ranchu, 1 red cap , 1 blackmoore. Is it ok ? Would this filter work if I add a pump ? Does it matter What kind of pump I'm getting ?

Also just to make sure, I have to return the rocks (rough texture with sharp edges ) to the aquarium store for the safety of the goldfish right ?

12. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

I think I will just get baby fish for the Blackmore, red cap and ranchu. The adult ranch is too expensive for a beginner ?

13. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Baby fish will still grow up to be adults; you always have to keep in mind of the adult sizes.

14. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

IMO it should be fine , ranchu and lionhead and black Moore only get 5-6" max , oranda 8-9", it's fine for a 75g if you stick to those Fancies you just said.

I would go with a Hang on the back filter , try getting a Aqua Clear 50 (200gal/h) , it'll create more surface agitation to allow more oxygen and also for more filtration

15. Dave125g

Over filtering a gold fish tank is best ,with there large bioloads.
    Getting young fish is nice, because its rewarding to watch them grow to healthy adults.

16. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Thank you ! So 2 filters and no pump ?

17. Dave125g

You can get an air pump and air stone for more oxygenation. I don't imagine your gonna go live plants, as the goldfish will just eat them.

18. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

I've decided to have only 3 fancies in this tank. The tank will be delivered to me tmr. Can't wait . I have rinsed 3bags of black sand ahead of time ( they r not totally clean - still a little cloudy .. hope it's ok )

Also for now I don't plan to put any rocks or river stones in the tank .. just the black sand substrates

19. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Also I can't seem to find any nice fancy goldfish in Canada . Any recommendations?

20. Dave125g

Trinsfish.com is highly recommended. I got plants and my L183 pleco from them, all arrived very healthy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice