River rocks with moss growing on it would be good for an aquarium?

pinky93
I was wondering if river rocks with moss growing on it would be good for an aquarium?

susitna-flower
Introducing anything from a river, lake or stream that isn't boiled is asking for problems. You might introduce a parasite or disease into your tank that you don't want to give to your fish. Just my opinion....it's up to you.

pinky93
Ok so wat if I want a natural rock to grow moss or algae

capekate
I would think that if you boiled the rocks first, they should be ok. My sister brought some river rocks from Vermont last year, I cleaned them, boiled them and added to the tank. All is fine. I did omit any rocks that had any 'sparkles" on them, its some kind of mineral, that I don't have a name for. But clean river rocks with no rust colored metal veins running through it would be ok.
Much better if you were actually able to ID the type of rock you wanted to use and researched first tho. I would not add any moss from a lake or river tho, I would go out and buy some java moss and add it myself if that's what I wanted to do.

pinky93
that's the problem...where I live we don't sell those plant and stuff so I have to wait till I get to the USA.

Angela_96
that's the problem...where I live we don't sell those plant and stuff so I have to wait till I get to the USA.

The rocks and stones in the rivers that have moss, algae have a different algae on them than what your aquarium fish is used too, not only that they also have snails, and micro-organisms that you do not want to put into your fish tank. You will end up w/ a total fish loss. (My husband has a degree in enviromental bio and when I collected rocks from the local lake and river system could pick up a rock and point out tons of different speices of orgainisms on each rock... not countin the micro-orgainisms that also put out gas's in your tank... all stuff not natural to your tropical aquarium fish.

I would suggest bleaching all the rocks, scrubing them, then boiling them. Then letting them grow algae in the tank natrually. If you want an natural tank w/ the green algae look, and you cannot have plants where you live you might want to get african cichlids they have to have algae in their tanks, so grow the algae on the rocks for them.

crabbyabby
I have rocks in my tank but I was too skeptical about adding just any rock to my tank so after some research I found a place on line that sells natural rocks for aqariums. Their name is Kavatica. here is a link I would just contact them if you have questions. they were able to help me alot. My fish love the ones I have. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Don't put unfamilar things in your tank. It is never a good idea.

Angela_96
I would find out what type of rocks they are, if your fish are not african cichlids or sw there are a lot of rocks you want to be careful about adding. Also, you might want to think about treating the rocks yourself once you get the rocks to be on the safe side. You can soak them in bleach, scrub them, and then boil them on the stove and then once again rince them off really good.

Not to mention rocks w/ metalic properties.. you don't want any of those in your tanks at all

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans
Top Bottom