River Plants In Tank?

Emuhlee
Hi, I have 3 guppies, and 4 mystery snails in a 10 gallon tank (getting another tank soon) and I was wondering if the plants I got from the river would be safe to put in my tank. I can take pictures of the plants if need be.

DutchAquarium
It can be done, but your going to need to throughly clean them. Please post your plant pictures. That way I can tell you the best way to clean them and identify them for you.

Emuhlee
yes of course. give me a moment to upload to my email.

Rojer Ramjet
Biggest issue you'll have is acclimating the plants to tropical conditions; many wild plants like cool, highly oxygenated water.

That said, I've acclimated several species from the American River into my freshwater setups, and 4 varieties of Marine macroalgae into my saltwater.

California water is COLD.

Emuhlee
okay, that makes sense. I was just worried that the plants would harm my guppies or something. I posted the pictures, but I don't see them, so maybe I have to post again..i'm new to this site haha

DutchAquarium
I agree with what rojer says, but if we can identify the plants, sometimes you might find one that can survive at 74 degrees

AntsRule
I dip mine in a hydrogen peroxide solution to kill any bacteria, this will not kill snails or other small invertebrates though(I have found hitchhikers)

Emuhlee
I keep uploading them, but I can't find them...

DutchAquarium
Yes, I highly recommend dipping plants in hydrogen peroxide.

Emuhlee
photos-
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

DutchAquarium here are the pictures FINALLY lol

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 89
DutchAquarium
Do you know where you collect these plant from?

Emuhlee
just from a river/lake by my house that was on the bank.

DutchAquarium
What state, or more specifically what river?

Emuhlee
uhm. i'm in hartsville south carolina. it's just a really small little river, lake, pond thing

Dave125g
They may not be fully aquatic plants, if you got them from the bank. One looks like duck weed. There's a few I wanted to try from lake taconic in NY. I was gonna give them a bleach dip.

Emuhlee
So should I throw them out or do you think my guppies would be okay with them in there?

I also have a guppy that is either pregnant or fat. Both of my female guppies kind of look the same.

fish.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish3.jpg
fish4.jpg

btw, the water was pretty high when it rained then went back down, so the plants were in the water, they are just on the bank now, bc the water went down.

DutchAquarium
Look's like some fun stuff to grow, I haven't been able to identify them easily. Just keep the second picture from the bottom out of the water partially, that looks like a bog plant

Emuhlee
Thanks for the help hopefully all works out!

Dave125g
If you clean them well enough it should be fine. At worst the plant will just die off. You got males in with females , your females are almost certainly pregnant. Good luck.

Emuhlee
Thanks!

sloughdog
A quick way to tell if the plant is aquatic is whether the plant can support its self out of the water. Aquatic plants will flop over; terrestrial plants will stay upright.
Pics 2,3 and 5 all look aquatic to me. 3 looks like a pennywort too.

Give them a salt bath. It’s 1 cup salt to 1 gallon water. Use non-iodized salt (not table salt). Aquarium salt or sea salt will work.
Dissolve the salt in dechlorinated water then dip just the leaves, not the roots, into the bath for 15-20 seconds then remove and rinse in dechlorinated water. Plant is then ready for the tank.

Rojer Ramjet
The top plant photo is verigated pothos, an ornamental plant and NOT aquatic, though the roots CAN be full submerged - someone tossed out grandma's pothos... lol!!!

I do think I see duckweed, which is not full aquatic and needs to have the leaves partially out of the water.

The only thing you can do is stick em in the water and see what happens; take em out if they become suddenly translucent, unless you've got some shrimp - they go NVTS nuts! over that stuff (Mel Brooks History of the World, Part 1 reference for you old farts like me).

Emuhlee
LOL thank you. I have the pothos in the filter. watched a video on it. they aren't fully in the water.

r5n8xaw00
At least you didn't spend any money on the plants like I did only to find out they where semi-aquatic, yeah don't blame the girl at Petco, she just works there...

Emuhlee
oh no...that really sucks! the guy at my pet store didnt know much either. glad he knew which guppy was a male and female! sorry that happened to you

r5n8xaw00
oh no...that really sucks! the guy at my pet store didnt know much either. glad he knew which guppy was a male and female! sorry that happened to you
I am just learning about aquarium plants, but oh well, you laugh, you cry, you kiss 6 bucks goodbye...

Emuhlee
It could have been worse though. I'm just learning about everything haha. I know nothing about my guppies. Good thing you didn't spend more o:

r5n8xaw00
It could have been worse though. I'm just learning about everything haha. I know nothing about my guppies. Good thing you didn't spend more o:
Learning and enjoying aquariums is really fun, so relaxing to watch my betta swim around in his 10 gallon exploring the world that I provided for him.
I tell ya, I love my aquariums, but my pocket book hates them...

Emuhlee
Haha I know what you mean! I live in a really stressful environment and this seems to be the only thing that relaxes me. This and my succulents. I don't have a job right now due to stuff going on, so it's kind of hard to get everything I want to get for their tanks. I have no clue what the ph levels are in it. I'm scared I'm going to mess something up!

r5n8xaw00
Haha I know what you mean! I live in a really stressful environment and this seems to be the only thing that relaxes me. This and my succulents. I don't have a job right now due to stuff going on, so it's kind of hard to get everything I want to get for their tanks. I have no clue what the ph levels are in it. I'm scared I'm going to mess something up!
You don't have to worry about the ph, most fish can tolerate different levels of ph. Your not messing things up.... (Like Jack Burton says. "Its all in the reflexes.") form the movie "Big Trouble in Little China.....

Emuhlee
You don't have to worry about the ph, most fish can tolerate different levels of ph. Your not messing things up.... (Like Jack Burton says. "Its all in the reflexes.") form the movie "Big Trouble in Little China.....

Thank you!! Makes me feel a lot better

r5n8xaw00
Always remember that here on Fish Lore, help is on the way.....well sometimes....

Dave125g
Learning and enjoying aquariums is really fun, so relaxing to watch my betta swim around in his 10 gallon exploring the world that I provided for him.
I tell ya, I love my aquariums, but my pocket book hates them...
There's ways to save a ton of money on everything in this hobby. From filtration to lighting substrate and decor. Tank stand too. Even CO2 if your up for a high tech tank.

sloughdog
Very true Dave. Heck I’m running a Penn Plax Air pump that’s probably 20+ yrs old. All it needed was a new diaphragm. It’s as quiet as any new pump today.
Not sure if Penn Plax even exists today.

AQUA_LOVER
I am pretty sure that pictures 4 and 5 are types of grass. They can be partially submerged sometimes, but are not aquatic plants.

The pictures of your guppys do look pregnant but only just barely. Guppies that are mixed male and female will generally give birth every 30 days or so. They will get boxy when they are ready to give birth and you will even see little eyes in the dark gravid spot at the back of the female. They will start to shape up almost like this \___/

This is a picture of my female who is ready to give birth.

1521462910994.jpeg

dimmy32
I've used freshwater aquatic plants from a local lake here in Quebec , Canada. They seem to do great, as long as they get enough light.
I didnt bother rinsing in peroxide, altho its a good idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Newbie99
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Newbie99
  • Asteria_and_Rogue
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Asteria_and_Rogue