Risk Of Blood Parrots W/green Terror?

1. Sassonic

Sassonic New Member Member

Well I have 2 BP's and a Green Terror in a 65G tank... I'm really attached to one of my BP's he's really an incredible fish, very smart, always watching me, and he's very entertaining. I got the Green Terror as a juvenile; I'm starting to like him and now he's getting bigger and stronger, but still not nearly the size of my BP's, so he will used to always being "smaller" than the BP's (if that means anything). There seems to be a good success rate keeping BP's with GT's, but I'm considering re-homing the GT because he could be a risk to my BP in the coming years...

Does anyone have an opinion on this? My BP's have both proven to be tough, they can actually fight and hold their own, but there's still the dangling fins that could be badly injured by a GT. Does anyone think my BP's safety is a "sure bet?" My tank has plants, caves, 65G tall, and I may also have some dither fish or smaller African Cichlids in there too. Picture of the tank below, the stock has changed but you can see the BP's on the left and the GT is in the center on the bottom.

au3eiN7yWw2.jpg

2. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I think that Green Terrors are better off kept alone or with fish with similar temperament. IMO, A single GT male should bet kept in a 85 gallon tank because they grow to a large size.

Honestly, Once your GT matures and grows to a bigger size it can destroy the BP's whenever it feels like it. BP's have deformed mouths so they don't have that big of a defense against that GT.

What's your complete stocking?

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Looking at the photo, I see far worse problems down the road than the BP and GT. To tell the truth, given the size of the tank, if only the BP and GT were in there with the denisonii, you'd probably be all right. But there are juvenile Malawians in there that are known to get highly aggressive at sexual maturity, and I believe I see a Frontosa? That's a Tanganyikan fish that will get too big for that tank, period. So I will recommend that you watch the tank closely and remove any fish that starts to get overly aggressive. It may happen quickly and without warning, so it is possible you will lose a fish or two to aggression. The GT may be one of these, as it is not competitive with Mbuna or OB Peacocks.

4. f

fishboy345 New Member Member

BP are not amazing at defending themselves, and imo I would only have 2 or maybe 3 of them in a tank that size, without the other cichlids. I would recommend either getting a much bigger tank (125g+) or rehoming most of the cichlids as once they get older there will be too much aggression between cichlids. best of luck

5. OP
    OP
    Sassonic

Thanks guys. I'm re-homing the Africans to a 135G which is currently cycling. I'm going to keep the BP's alone in the 65. I'm giving the GT back to the store, and there is no Frontosa in there, it's a Treto.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

In the photo I thought it looked like a juvie Frontosa. A single Tretocephalus is a hundred times worse than all the Mbuna combined. One of the most aggressive Lamps I've ever seen. They don't even like each other!

7. OP
    OP
    Sassonic

I've heard that but my Treto is totally chill. He doesn't start any conflicts, the only thing I've seen him do is expand his face sideways and make a mean face if a fish bothers him. He really keeps to himself. He's about a year old, not particularly large at all, maybe 3 inches, and actually he's a candidate to stay in the tank w/the BP's at the moment. I guess it's "hit and miss" with some fish personalities.