Risk Assessment - Sterbai Cory

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
I have a newly established 50g freshwater aquarium, with two happy Honey Gourami's.

The tank is kept between 25-27.5 C. And therefore I thought I might add five Sterbai Cory as they will be comfortable with this temperature range.

My concern is my lava rock substrate. Each of the lava pebbles are smaller than a finger nail, but being lava it is not the smoothest surface.

I know this is not ideal for Cory's, but wonder how risky this substrate would be. Dose anyone have any direct experience with Cory's and small lava pebble substrate?

Fishstery

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had eco complete in my old 10 gallon reading online that people kept cories with it and they were okay. It's the same texture but smaller granules. I can tell you after a year all my cories barbells were worn down and it resulted in mouth fungus. In the new 12 gallon long I have tahitian moon sand and they all have long healthy barbells and my old cory that survived the mouth fungus and made it to the new tank has grown them all back except one, which was probably too worn down to regrow. They also eat easier because they can filter the sand for food. I would definitely see if you can either rehome them or try to change out your substrate

Jafa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had some Corys delivered today, 6 Pandas and 6 Sterbai.
I am stunned by the luminous gold/coral on the front fins of the Sterbai. Do yours have it?
I tried to take photos to show but you can't really see it in the pix.

Last edited:

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any rough substrate will erode the cories’ barbels. You really need fine sand...
I had eco complete in my old 10 gallon reading online that people kept cories with it and they were okay. It's the same texture but smaller granules. I can tell you after a year all my cories barbells were worn down and it resulted in mouth fungus. In the new 12 gallon long I have tahitian moon sand and they all have long healthy barbells and my old cory that survived the mouth fungus and made it to the new tank has grown them all back except one, which was probably too worn down to regrow. They also eat easier because they can filter the sand for food. I would definitely see if you can either rehome them or try to change out your substrate
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't bought the Sterbai Cory's yet, and following your advice I will not include them as I don't want to risk the harm you have mentioned.

Thank you for the advice.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have cories on BDBS and no issues with barbel damage. I think water quality is more important for them.

I had some Corys delivered today, 6 Pandas and 6 Sterbai.
I am stunned by the luminous gold/coral on the front fins of the Sterbai. Do yours have it?
I tried to take photos to show but you can't really see it in the pix.
When I went to pick up some duplicareus, the LFS had a beautiful planted display tank with full grown sterbai and their orange pectoral fins stood out more than I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of sterbai, both in person and in pics. Enough that I wanted a group of sterbai so when I saw a group of 5 at PetCo, I got them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom