Rising Ph Won't Budge? Help

1. V

ValeriePark Initiate Member

In the past, I've used small almond leaves to make my slightly alkaline tap water nice and soft for my bettas. I tested the water the day before yesterday and it was a 7.8, not too bad but not where I'd like it so I put in a leaf. I tested it yesterday morning because I was worried the leaf brought it TOO far down, to my suprise it was at an 8. I put in 3 more leaves and tested it that afternoon - 8.2! Anybody have a trick to lower it quick? Why is it happening??
    Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate = 0 ppm
    Temp = 72*F
    2.5 gallon tank

2. Zigi Zig

Zigi Zig Well Known Member Member

Not stable pH or changes in the aquarium, even if small, can have serious health effects on your fish. Since you at 8.2 is consider alkaline and can affect your fishes' gills. If your fish dart back and forth.
    Safe it way to make pH adjustments is partial changing your water. Never use any chemicals to try adjust pH it may result fish death.
    Bettas are soft water fish, and prefer a pH of neutral (7.0) or slightly acidic. They can adapt to a higher pH, as long as it is stable.again it is inadvisable to use chemicals to alter the pH, which can cause dangerous fluctuations.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Personally, that pH is just fine for a betta, as mine is kept at 8.6 with no issues whatsoever.
    I think you should leave it be, the leaves will help, they do lower the pH slowly.
    It's better to keep it where it is than have to jack with it, you may actually do something you don't want to do.

4. OP
    OP
    V

Alrighty, thank you! I'll keep an eye on him, and do a water change, no chemicals! :emoji_slight_smile:

5. OP
    OP
    V

Wow! I thought for sure 8 would cause problems, I'll leave it be and see how he does, thank you!:emoji_heart:

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Just for future knowledge, you can used distilled water to lower the pH. Mix it with tap to get the level you want. You can do small water changes with pure distilled to bring it down slowly.

7. OP
    OP
    V

Thank you so much!:emoji_heart: