Ripped Tail Fin. Important

1. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Hi all,

My Betta Blue has seriously torn his fins on something but I don’t know what on.

I think it may have been the filter intake which he likes to swim under, I’m guessing maybe the impeller caught him or something but it’s pretty close to the gravel and I think maybe, his top fin would have got it not his tail. But I’m unsure. There’s nothing else that’s sharp in there other than a rough bit on a plant which I’ve now removed. I’ve covered the intake with a media baggie fastened with elastic so if it was that he can’t do it again.

Besides it doesn’t look torn it looks shredded. This literally happened in the space of an hour, I fed him and he was fine. I checked him an hour later and his tail was shredded.

I just checked him again and it looks worse. The shredded bits have come off and chunks are missing. What’s going on?

IMG_6656.JPG IMG_6657.JPG

2. W

Why me Valued Member Member

Keep the water clean and maybe use medication depending on how bad it is. I would give it a day or so before deciding. Also. Keep an eye on him to find out if it was the intake. Fins usually heal on they’re own. It’s like a finger nail except faster.

3. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Does it look like he did it himself? As in tail biting.