Ripariums

CindiL

I don't see a lot on Ripariums here but it is my new and almost favorite hobby which is now in a 20 gallon tank because I wanted more plants!

If there is any way to sticky this it may help others Mike?

The benefit of having a riparium style tank is that land plants with their roots in the water will directly consume nitrates (as will emmersed aquatic plants). Fully immersed plants ironically have to convert nitrates back to ammonium in order to utilize the nutrients. I am by no means an expert but have learned a great deal.

Here is a list of many common house plants and tropical plants we think of for warm summer months that do well in Ripariums. This list is by no means exhaustive and many others can be used.

Umbrella Plant
Spathiphyllum (Lilly like flowers)
Java Fern
Anubias
Sword
Crypts
Bacopa and many others that are grown emmersed before you purchase them at the pet store.
Begonia
Coleus
Croton
Dracena
Herbs
Impatiens
Most Ivy of any type
Philodendron
Pothos
Sweet potato vine
Bamboo

A pic of my latest. This is a common riparium style but you can do this with your regularly filled aquarium also.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1433175617.807563.jpg

From left to center
Umbrella, dracena, lilly (spathiphyllum), coleus. The umbrella and spathiphyllum will grow taller like the dracena.

I have kept the bottom simple with crypts and java ferns.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1433175886.632510.jpg

I like this nitrate busting tank idea so much I put Philodendrons (on the sides of the tank with roots in) and curly bamboo in my planted tank and have seen a large change in nitrates. This is my larger 35g tank.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1433176008.846923.jpg

I found simple clear toothbrush suction holders at Menards that make great containers though I bought stronger suction cups.

You thoroughly rinse the dirt off and can use sand or small gravel with a root tab in the container.

Helpful sites are

where you can purchase riparium specific supplies.

www.thriftyfun.com/growing-plants-in-water-1.html which has great suggestions to many of the plants I listed already.

Chunk101

Looks fun!
What's providing the nitrogen in the 20gal? Is it just the soil or do you have animals in there?

CindiL

Looks fun!
What's providing the nitrogen in the 20gal? Is it just the soil or do you have animals in there?

I have a betta, nerite and some ghost shrimp in that one

I think I am enjoying the plant aspect of my aquariums as much as the fish! Its like indoor gardening.

kuhliloach85

I love the look and would love to do this with one of my betta tanks (I love the foliage coming out of the water/top and the cross-section look) but I would worry about my betta jumping out.

CindiL

I love the look and would love to do this with one of my betta tanks (I love the foliage coming out of the water/top and the cross-section look) but I would worry about my betta jumping out.

I think if you go with the larger tank like I did with my 20 gallon Long and only fill it half way, you'd be ok unless your betta can really jump HIGH? My betta doesn't jump but my son lost one who jumped out of its regular tank so I know it can happen. A 20long is 30 x 12 x 12 so he'd have to be able to jump 6+ inches.

MJDuti

I always wanted to try these. I follow Hydrophyte over on ThePlantedTank a lot, who I believe is the riparium supply guy. Was thinking of a 29G with a swarm of ADFs

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
waterlilykari
Replies
Views
Bluestreakfl
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views