Rip :(

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So today, I moved my yellow labs into my friends tank because my Firemouths were getting too aggressive.. The bad news.. Shortly after releasing them into my friends tank, his africans totally went to town on one of my yellow labs...

Sigh.. This is a sad day.. I have one more yellow lab.. and I just got it back and I put it in a breeder box..

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
did your friend change up the decor when the fish were added? any time you add new cichlids you have to change the decor so there are no more established territories - gives each fish a chance to find a home. otherwise, the new fish will not have their own home and will always be encroaching on others homes.

are you putting the surviving fish back in with the firemouths?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, But in a breeder box.. The firemouths seem to ignore it.. for now.. This is the last time I'm breeding FM's

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, was the aggression during breeding?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Breeding fish often requires a multi-tank setup.

How do you plan on preventing them from breeding?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
Breeding fish often requires a multi-tank setup.

How do you plan on preventing them from breeding?
As cruel as this may sound.. I shall remove the eggs once they are laid.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That won't really stop spawning behavior or aggression, a pair of Cichlids will still act like a pair and defend a territory, even if you take their eggs.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
As cruel as this may sound.. I shall remove the eggs once they are laid.
That's not cruel at all.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok I'll get rid of the female. LOL

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I must admit, FMF, that I am very confused by you. A month ago, you acknlowledged that the combo of fish you had was bad:

firemouthfreak said:
Well I just rescued a Firemouth from a pet store that did little to help it. (Convict was nipping its fin, so I decided to buy it) Its in the tank with Yellow Lab Cichlids (Bad mix I know), I'm going to move the labs in a few weeks. I was wondering if it is okay to just have 1 Firemouth? Should I add more?
Then, when people were urging you for the past week to take care of the problem caused by the incompatibility, you were upset and felt like you were being attacked, even though you knew a month before that this wasn't going to work.

I would urge you to consider asking your LFS to take incompatible fish off your hands and research the needs of your fish fully before you purchase any more.

I'm sorry about the loss of your yellow lab - how horrible to plan a backup, and then have it fail.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu said:
I must admit, FMF, that I am very confused by you. A month ago, you acknlowledged that the combo of fish you had was bad:

Then, when people were urging you for the past week to take care of the problem caused by the incompatibility, you were upset and felt like you were being attacked, even though you knew a month before that this wasn't going to work.

I would urge you to consider asking your LFS to take incompatible fish off your hands and research the needs of your fish fully before you purchase any more.

I'm sorry about the loss of your yellow lab - how horrible to plan a backup, and then have it fail.
That FM I spoke of in my first post is with a friend now.

Before the FM's spawned, I had no aggression issues. They were swimming together just fine.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's what people were trying to tell you though, most young Cichlids will get on ok for a while. It's when they get mature and start spawning that troubles start.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your pleco thread was post spawning.....

harpua2002 said:
But you mentioned that the parents have only had free swimmers for 3 days. This really isn't enough time to judge how the parents are going to behave toward other fish in the tank... and I'd just about bet that as the FM pair grow, they will become more aggressive when spawning.
firemouthfreak said:
I disagree, if they were to show severe aggression then I would be seeing it by now.

The fry are wigglers, not free swimming yet. They ARE aggressive to the labs, but only when the labs swim close to the babies. For some reason, the male is very.. docile..

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Again, with the feeling of being ganged up on with "I TOLD YOU SO's". It was my choice to not heed the warnings and I was given, and now I suffer with the consequence. Not any of you people. So rather than getting on my case with the I TOLD YOU SO's, maybe you could show some sympathy. Just my 2 cents.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You do have my sympathies but you were warned. Perhaps just chalk it up as a learning experience & know that the next time the voices of experience speak, it might be a good idea to listen.

I hope it all starts to work out for you.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry your fish died, but the reason you were given the advice in the first place was because people on the forum knew this would happen and were concerned for the well being of your fish. It's not a case of anyone ganging up on you, but people on this forum are passionate about the well being of fish, and will tend to give advice if they see a potentionally bad situation.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nutter said:
You do have my sympathies but you were warned. Perhaps just chalk it up as a learning experience & know that the next time the voices of experience speak, it might be a good idea to listen.

I hope it all starts to work out for you.
Again, an "I TOLD YOU SO".

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads