RIP Yellow Tang ''Cheesi'' :[ - need help inside.

charzar-g

Hey guys,

I woke up this morning looking at my tank, as always, but this time my yellow tang wasn't swimming around waiting for me to get up. He was dead :[

After watching finding nemo just last night, and my fish died this morning, I feel like Ive done a terrible disservice to the ocean, and now I feel that none of my fish should be in a tank etc, etc. =[ I feel like I only EVER wanted to get captive bred fish, or breed them myself now.

So here's about the fish:
Yesterday was the first time I noticed him acting strange. Where he is normally moving around ALL the time, I noticed he was just in a stationary spot near the bottom of the tank. He wouldn't move at all until my cleaner shrimp when near him and leapt on him.
But then he only moved out of its reach, he didn't start swimming.
So I looked closer, and it turns out he was breathing/moving his gills a lot more rapidly than normally.
I had done a bit of tank maintanance yesterday, but nothing that the tang hasn't put up with before.

I am so sad right now :[
It serves me right buying a fish on impluse. I never planned to have this fish, I asked for another one, but the guy in the fish shop actually said to me 'I WONT BE ABLE TO GET THAT ONE, DO YOU WANT THIS INSTEAD?'

I don't think I should be fit to keep a fish tank anymore! This is the first fish I've lost, and if I feel like this each time. Maybe I shouldn't =[

charzar-g

Sorry to double post, but I got the tang out, and put it in a bag, then took a picture of it, I will upload it later, because I have to go now, but I hope that somebody might be able to do a post mortem?
I'm going to take the fish back to the shop aswell to see what they have to say.

Also I think I forgot to add that my aquarium info on my page is RECENT :]
But I will do another water test tonight, as like I said, I have to go.

Aquarist

Good morning Char,

So sorry to hear that you lost your tang. Try not to beat yourself up because of it. Sometimes things just happen beyond our control. I'm sure you did the best that could be done for your fish.

Ken

charzar-g

Thanks. I took the body to the Fish shop, and the staff couldn't see anything wrong with it either, they also tested the water I took in (just incase) and it was all fine (with nitrates a little high, but there was a dead fish in it!)

They did replace the fish, so lets just hope it doesn't happen again I acclimatised it for 3 hours just in case :]

ATP

want to see pic of new yellow

btw, don't feel too bad for the yellow. Some times things happens beyond your control and sometimes you might have done something wrong, but things happens. Accidents happens and accidents are ok.

Just try your best to find the cause of the yellow tangs death. If nothing is wrong, try again.

First its an accident, second it's a coincidence, third its a trend. So don't give up hope the first time it happens.

Lucy

I'm so sorry about your fish.

charzar-g said:
I don't think I should be fit to keep a fish tank anymore! This is the first fish I've lost, and if I feel like this each time. Maybe I shouldn't =[
You're not alone feeling this way.
You've always taken good care of your fish. Don't beat your self up.

charzar-g

Thanks guys.

ATP, we took the body into the fish shop, they couldn't see anything wrong either, which is why they gave me a replacement. I don't actually think I have any fish pictures up on this site. I'll get round to that later, but right now i'm at school and I should be doing work! ^_^

Stang Man

Charzar; That really sucks! Sorry about your tang!

zeeter

How long did you have this fish? Sometimes they just don't take to the aquarium. The percs are the only territorial fish that you have, but I would think the Tang would have trounced on their territoriality - especially a Yellow Tang. So I wouldn't say it was a stress issue - especially if you've had him a while.
Like I said - sometimes fish just don't take to a tank. I bought a bicolored pseudochromis a few weeks back and he lived for three days in the tank. Never left his hole - in fact I had to move things around just to make him come out. It happens - especially to fish captured in the wild. I wouldn't beat myself up about it if I was you.

charzar-g

To make matters worse, i've just discovered my coral beauty dead aswell, VERY recent death, but when I didn't see him yesterday coming for food it was no surprise, he never does, he lurks in the rocks and comes out to get the food what's gone to the bottom later.

He was a really shy fish which is why I thought nothing of it, but I was looking just now and I couldn't see him ANYWAY. normally you can see him a little bit.
Turns out he was wedged between a rock and the glass and got stuck. I just discovered him, with all the hermit crabs on him.
That's the second fish this month! :'( And i'd had the coral beauty for a while.
People say you can't get attachted to a fish. But I sure do :'(

Stang Man

I was reading in an old magazine about fish to have in a reef, The yellow tang is a good inducation that water quality is not to par! they also had in there that once tang starts acting weird that water test should be a givin so what are your water test read for all asspects of water quality somethings not right! I have had yellow tangs before that didn't look good and did a 25 % water change and next day they where fine did test all water aspects and found nitrate had went up that says to me that somewhere something is happening to your tank !

charzar-g

Wow, I check the water often, and its always fine, the new tang is acting perfectly normal, so I think it must have just been a bad fish :]
but I don't have a fancy test kit, I only have these sticks that you dip in.

Stang Man

Yeah those test are not accurate at all I tried them against other test kits and never showed correct readings

charzar-g

Yeah, I've nearly ran out, when they're gone I'll get proper test kits ;D
But that was when I first started and the LFS lady said to get those whilst I get started.

The main thing is that the new tang is doing well

I have a new thread of questions now hehe:

Stang Man

Good glad to hear that!!!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom