Rip Swim Shady

1. fishwitch

fishwitch New Member Member

My beloved betta Swim Shady went to the big fishy bowl in the sky some time last night and in a very weird sense I feel relieved. He had been struggling for a while but I kept hope that he'd recover. I was out of town all weekend and was expecting to find him expired when I came back. But no, that little bugger kept at it until I got home last night.

I got very weepy when I looked at him, just sitting there, sad, and I told him it's okay for him to go, if he needs to. I told him I appreciated everything he'd done for me (like listening when no one else had) and that I hoped I have him a good life. I went to bed hoping he'd heard me.

I woke up this morning and he was gone, and even though it's "just a fish" I can't help but feel like he was waiting for me. Waiting for okay. And now even though I'm sad, there's a part of me that's happy he's not suffering any more.

I just miss him already :(

Has anyone else had this experience, with a cat, dog, or otherwise? Any comforting words? I'm the kind of person who likes to hear stories about other peoples experiences. So bring them on :)

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
    Was is his tank filtered?

3. OP
    OP
    fishwitch

fishwitch New Member Member

Yes, it was heated and filtered. He was the scrappy bud at the LFS and I thought I could save him. It also seemed as though he had a nasty abscess or tumor on his right gill that didn't respond to meds, and toward the end he lost all of his color, went pale. I think it was just time for him to go :(

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

You did the right thing on trying to save him. I just recused 2 baby Dalmatian mollies myself, their doing very fine :)

5. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It's amazing how attached we can become to our little finned friends.

6. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I lost my three rat girls a couple months back and I still miss them.
    Any living thing you have an attachment to you will be sad when it dies. I was sad when my oldest hissing cockroach passed away. It's normal to feel sad when a beloved pet dies, be it a dog or a rat or a fish or an insect.

I understand the waiting thing. Two of my rats died in my arms. I was a sobbing mess for them. They were my babies. I mean, how could you not love creatures who'd come by the door of their cage and beg to be loved as soon as you walked into the room? It's like losing your best friends. I truly felt like we had a mutual relationship.

My hope is that we'll meet again when I die, because what kind of heaven is a heaven without animals? Hopefully I'll get to cuddle them again someday. That's really my only comfort at the moment. That wound is still fresh.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss, and have to say out of all the cheesy fish names I've heard over the years Swim Shady has to be my favorite :)

8. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I agree I love the name. Sorry for your loss:( I just have say I had tears in my eyes reading your post.
    S.I.P Swim Shady

9. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

So sorry for your loss....big hugs.

10. JoeEse7en

JoeEse7en Valued Member Member

I'm sorry homie. I lost one of my babies today too. :-(

11. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss, best fish name ever.

12. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

:( Wow seems like we have a lot of passing all of the sudden, Swim is resting now and not suffering.

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I've had to tell two of my dogs that it was okay, it was time to go. The last one, my yorkie Tehya was my constant companion of 15 years. She went to work with me, we didn't go on vacation for 15 years because she had such seperation anxiety. (We tried to leave her overnight with my ex-husband who loved her. He was up all night trying to calm her and stop her from crying) We would leave for an hour or two and she was a mess when we got back.) They get very attached to us and they don't want to leave us. I have no doubt he was waiting for you and waiting to hear it was okay.

14. ravensangel

ravensangel Valued Member Member

My White Capped Pionus (bird) passed last October, after having her for 17 years. She had a seizure and I had no time to get her to the vet. So I just sat and told her it was ok to go, I would be ok. Two minutes later, she was gone. I was devastated and still am. She was my emotional support and had gotten me thru so much, she never let me give up.

Anytime an animal touches your life, for no matter how long, it will effect you.

I'm sorry for your loss. You gave him a good life and I'm sure he knew how much you cared for him.