RIP Ophelia

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So ever since last night I've been looking for one of my fish. Finally today I took out everything and searched and searched. I heard that swordtails are jumpers so I've made sure to leave the tank closed. What I think happened was she jumped out the little 1 inch hole, over my desk, and into this empty Wheat Thins box. I'm glad we found her because I've been freaking out so much but at least we found her.

She was the ruler of the roost so I'm curious to see how the tank works now. I was also pretty sure she was pregnant with her first of many babies. :'( I knew it would happen sooner than later but not seeing her floating on the top of the tank and having to actually search for her all day has taken a lot. I'm getting made fun of by some of my friends but oh well.

RIP Ophelia

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aww, I'm sorry about Ophelia.  :'(  I'm glad you at least found her too, I'd rather know than always wonder what the heck happened.

I lost my pleco Herman last night, and I'm still very sad over it.  Ignore your friends that are making fun of you, it doesn't sound like they are being very good friends right now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We're sorry to hear about Ophelia.. sad to lose a pet and she was loved.. if you can do it with your tank, you could try cutting the netting off a fish net and covering that hole with it taped in place.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your poor Ophelia! Someone else on the forum posted a similar story about the fish actually jumping out of the space between their hang on filter water flow and the hood of their tank. It's defiantly a good idea that FLBettaCouple had and if you can do it at least there wouldn't be any more deaths due to jumping out. Good Luck!

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That is the space that she jumpd out of, just the hole where the filter goes. How she did it I'll never know... but I have since covered it up so I know the others are okay. And I guess to look on the bright side to say that at least my tank hasn't been contaminated with a dead fish. It's still a healthy tank. :'(

Thanks everybody.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well then Ophelia's life wasn't in vain as she did show you that there was a space where others could have gotten out. Brave little fish taking one for the team!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope that you'll soon be able to put in a new buddy for Flo and Poopy (great name for a livebearer btw. ). Be sure to post a memorial for Ophelia in the memorials forum - she was a great fish & you're going to keep the good memories of her.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom