Rip Mr Creosote

1. KinderScout

KinderScout Valued Member Member

Always the first to come out for food. Would jump out of the water to grab tubifex if we held it a centimetre above the waterline. Hence the name. On saturday night no sign. Found on the bottom of the tank in a corner in distress. Taken out to avoid further stress whist the water was changed (nitrates are always high at the end of the week). He was in a sorry state with a feeler missing and fins looking raggy - all within hours of the last sighting. We wondered if he could have been injured but don't know how. He managed to swim to sit on some leaves at the top of the tank then he disappeared. After waiting a couple of hours we spotted him on the bottom at the back of the tank covered in shrimp.

The vet we called reckoned our tank is overstocked and that this was oxygen depletion due to too many plants. We, however, know our parameters intimately and have researched our stocking levels carefully. Oxygen isn't great but it's always been the same. Nitrites and ammonia always zero - nitrates get high towards the end of the week (80 or so) hence a 50% - 60% water change but that's down to the fert regime. CO2 and PH constant. None of the other fish nor (most tellingly) the shrimp show any distress, are super active, always hungry and show no signs of oxygen depletion.

Now we are pretty certain, due to the rapid deterioration of a normally bold fish and the fact that our other fish and our shrimp were unaffected, that this was iridovirus. At least it was quick - no time even to prepare to euthanise. Not ready to consider a replacement. We have come to the same conclusion as many that we shouldn't purchase another Dwarf Gourami due to breeding practices that leave them with no immunity to the virus.

Writing is cathartic - if you've read this thanks :) MrCreosote.jpg

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Really sorry to hear about your fish. There are quite a few members having difficulties with iridovirus of late.

3. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Aw. That makes me sad. I have a new DG and he's such a great fish. Sorry about your loss. I hope this disease gets under control

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear. Try to get local bred ones.
    No Asian import.