Rip: Minnie The Mystery Snail

1. skilletlicker

skilletlicker Valued Member Member

18-13-24 Tank Meeting.jpg
    That's Minnie, bottom center, in March. She was always smaller than her mate, Slim, but never really thrived in the tank. Rarely participated in All You Can Eat Salad buffets and usually slept 18 hours a day or more. Slim, on the other hand, has grown quite a bit and isn't shy at the dinner table. This our first death in Fish Tank and we hope it's the last for a long time to come.

The survivors; Slim, Sara, and Maybelle; are pictured below with a collard green leaf.
    Sara Maybelle Slim collard A.JPG

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Awh, sorry for the loss :(

3. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails are not vegetarians. They will eat vegetable matter but require a steady supply of animal protein. Sinking shrimp wafers or pellets work well. Just for future reference in case you didn't already know.

4. OP
    OP
    skilletlicker

Thanks Fanatic.
    I worry about that. Fed the Goldies mostly just granules the first several weeks. Then switched to Rapachy's Super Gold and "All You Can Eat" assorted veggies. I'm feeding not only the fish, hopefully with enough leftovers for the snails, plus the fish food, digested or not, is the main nutrient source for aquaponic plants that filter the tank water and feed the fish, the snails, and me.

Until very recently I never owned fish longer than it took to go from stringer to skillet. As a beginner, you hear so much from fishkeeping hobbyists about not overfeeding fish, especially goldfish, that there might be a temptation to underfeed. On the other hand, most aquaponic folks are interested in maximizing fish and plant production from an agracultural aquacultural perspective. The idea of maintaining the system for the benefit of a decades-long lifespan of "pet" fish is not unheard of but rarely discussed.

Attached Files:

5. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

That Super Gold should have enough protein in it to sustain Mystery snails.

6. OP
    OP
    skilletlicker

Trouble is, Sara and Maybelle are determined not to leave any leftovers. Will post a video soon of battles over the crumbs. Looks like sumo wrestlers playing rugby.