RIP Mini D - baby mystery snail

Discussion in 'Fish Memorials' started by Junne, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Mini D was only 5 months old. He was Gigantor and Davy's baby - only 2 survived from that clutch.

So sad, no reason - he was happy 2 days ago, eating and snailing around........................
    That same day, he was acting kind of weird - went above the water line and stayed there for most of the day, then fell in to the water. He never woke up since :(

Of course I tested the water today and did a pwc - no problems......
    I have now lost 3 mystery snails in a month!!! No other snails or fish in this tank!!!
    I wonder whats going on???????

Junne

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I am sry for loss *hugs* call and see if the water company put anything new in your water source

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you -

we did have a change a few months back ( we always get the community letters when they do anything ) and it was them changing from chlorine to Chloramines. Since I use Prime, I would think that would have taken care of anything like that.... Strange since none of my fish, Nerites or MTS seem to be affected.....

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear that Junne. :( Maybe call the water company and see how much is in the water, Prime detox's chloramine, but about 20% less than the same dosage can detox of chlorine. Kind of a long shot but like you said its odd for them to die so close to eachother.

5. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks I have the letter and it tells how much, etc so I will read that. Even if that were the case, what could I do to keep them safe?????

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

7. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Junne I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Mini D

8. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you..... So many snail losses.... just don't know why............. :(

9. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

It's horrible when it is sudden and there is no rhyme or reason so very frustrating.

When I lost the two unnamed they just died I don't know why it was so very strange now out of the eight I had just bing and bong remain and they seem quite happy and healthy but I watch then like a hawk just incase.

Has the ph remained stable?

10. OP
    OP
    Junne

The ph is stable - rarely changes. ( 8.0 )
    Any time anyone "died" I immediately check the water and still do a water change regardless.... makes me feel so bad that I can't figure out why just the snails. I would have thought the Neons and Cardinals were much more sensitive if in fact it is something with the water.

I haven't had a fish die in my main tank for a very long time...... I hate this second guessing..........

11. Matt B

I'm not very experienced with snails but I would tend to agree the cardinals at least would have shown something. Have you ever tested you kh or gh? With your ph I'm guessing its well above a level that would cause ph swings but I'm running out of ideas.

12. OP
    OP
    Junne

No, ive never tested the kh or gh... Do you think that would play a role? I don't even know where to begin where thats concerned. I rarely check my ph ( unless there's a death in the tank ) and all my parameters are pretty much text book.....

I always thought Cardinals/Neons ( well all tetra's ) were super sensitive to changes in water parameters - haven't lost any fish in my main tank for a long time, just the snails...... Makes me wonder if I should stop feeding them zucchini or something with the quality of the veggies? I DO make sure I wash the veggies really well but other than that, I don't see a connection....

13. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Junne

I've had a random thought are the snails in the same tank as the barbs were? I remember when you said the barbs used to peck the paint off some of your decorations are the decorations still in the tank?

I was thinking if there are any flakes of paint left maybe the snails ate them and and that could be the cause?

14. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you for pointing that out! I forgot about that ornament. I am going to take it out even though I have never seen any of the snails ( except the mts ) on it.

The only other thought I had too was a few months ago, I removed some red colored stones. You know, the kind that look like flattended marbles. I got them from Petsmart and I noticed only the red ones were "peeling"
    The other ones look like the natural colors and not painted. I was really disappointed that these were "Aquarium safe" when you can clearly see the paint or whatever they coat it with chipping off..... Other than that, nothing else is wearing off that I can tell.....

15. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Junne :) it was the only thing I could think of as everything else is stable hopefully that could be the cause.

Those pesky barbs causing trouble from afar

16. OP
    OP
    Junne

Those poor barbs got blamed for EVERYTHING! Nitrates high? It's the BARBS! LOL

17. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol they were mischief makers ;) but still the prettiest barbs I had ever seen you took amazing care of those little rascals

18. Matt B

If your kh/gh is really low your tank is more susceptible to ph swings because of a lack of buffering capacity. With your ph that high I bet yours are not low but here is some info about it: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/114872-ph-gh-kh.html

Thats a really good idea! I do remember a couple threads lately about decorations causing problems.

Junne- I'm glad that stuff is out! I would do a good gravel vac and maybe stir the gravel and make sure there's no more chips.

19. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks. I always do a good gravel vac every water change. I wonder now if maybe the gravel is causing problems...... hmmm

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice