Rip Mermaid - I Couldn't Save My Guppy :(

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Poor Mermaid.

He was a lovely fancy guppy I'd had for a few months. Last week I saw he was swimming oddly (45 degree angle) - no other symptoms.

Tank details: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, .5 nitrate. 23 gallon. I have 7 (now 6) guppies, 2 Glofish (I'm aware they are schooling fish, but ugh, don't get me started on them...there will be no more). Water change 25% weekly. i have duckweed & anubis in the tank.

I started every other day water changes immediately and fasted him. I gave him peas and I saw normal poop (I never saw white stringy poop, and his belly was never really bloated). He did not regain normal swim movement.

No symptoms of parasites. No signs of gasping for air, no sores, no red gills or inflammed gills, no damaged fins at this point. No bullying observed either.

Switched to medicated foods (Kanaflex in case this was a internal bacterial infection) seeing if that would help. We've been status quo for the past 7 days of odd swimming but eating and playing. This morning I found him at the bottom of the tank, fin SHREDDED! I hospitalized him and did a Paraguard dip as a hail mary. He perked up a teeny bit, but then a few hours later he passed.

My tank is cycled and was cycled before he was added. I have other guppies older than him that are fine. I re-tested the water and got the results above. I did a water change anyway. I spent a long time looking at everyone else and no signs of illness.

Any thoughts? I'm worried I'm missing something and I don't want to have another fish come down with it. I poured over all the past forums and symptoms and can't come up with a yup: this killed him.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m so sorry for your loss..... That’s so strange!! Your tank parameters look perfect! Any other tank mates!? Also, does your filter have any open spots, where he could have been shredded? Please include a picture of your tank, and your filter.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you. I have to tell a 7 yo when she gets home from school. It will be sad.

I have an Aquaclear 50 HOB filter, which I put a sponge over the intake since I have sand (I am sorta in love with corydoras so they are next on the inhabitant list). I do have a rock fixture in the tank that I plan to put java moss over eventually, so maybe that hurt him? I have 6 male guppies and 2 Glofish. One of the Glofish likes to swim with the guppies, but if I've ever seen any bullying its been him being chased. It's not a big tank, but I'm not overstocked, and my filter is a good one, and larger than the tank. I did not (foolishly) take a photo of the sick guppy...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom