RIP Eclipse

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mg13, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mg13

mg13Well Known MemberMember

Hey,

My favorite female guppy died today. I have no idea why, of course I was sad, but I began to get concerned after I was watching my other fish. The other two females don't seem to be too happy, as well as one of my males guppies and one of the male platies. Clamped fins, not very social, and hanging around one of the floating plants.

I have only changed two things within the last week, which were:

I started to crush the food in a Ziplock bag and throwing in two pinches per feeding time, instead of crushing each pinch every time i had to feed them.

I added in my first batch of guppy fry.TIhey are big enough where they will not get bothered, but they are still only about 1/4 the size of a grown guppy, about two months I think.

My ammonia and my nitrates are 0ppm.

After studying her for a few seconds before I let her go, I only noticed two things. She was very freshly dead, and there were a few pee color patches on her belly (excuse the language.)

If you have any questions or ideas on what in the world I would really appreciate it.

please people, googles not helping me right now..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    mg13

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

4. OP
    OP
    mg13

yes, liquid api test

nitrates 0ppm

5. Anders247

Nitrates at 0? You need to bang the #2 bottle really hard to get a reading.

6. OP
    OP
    mg13

is nitrates the plant thing or the second step... i though the plant thing was nitrites!

7. Anders247

It goes ammonia first, which gets turned into nitrite, which gets turned into nitrate.
    They get turned into that by nitrifying bacteria, but there's also denitrifying bacteria (I'm not sure if this is common in fish tanks) that eats nitrates and turns them into free nitrogen. I believe they need anaerobic conditions or something like that though.....

8. OP
    OP
    mg13

oh, i thought that the nitrates was the second step... lit me check what i tested...

9. OP
    OP
    mg13

uh, yeah, actually i HAD tested the nitrates and they were around 3... my nitrites is testing as we speak... bu it might be late since that was like a week ago. my tank is already cycled and last time i checked they were both 0.... so yeah.

10. OP
    OP
    mg13

More bad news. my favorite MALE guppy is going crazy now.. he's swimming in circle , like side summer salts and when he relaxes he floats on his side. he was breathing hard, but he's gotten better. he breaths normally now.. uh, anything?

11. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Might be a swim bladder issue, does he look bloated to you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    mg13

no bloating, but it does look like swimming bladder issue... i can't figure it out. he hasn't gotten any worse, but he hasn't gotten better. I Q'ed him and added a little salt, but nothing really has changed.

13. Bijou88

Try feeding him a de shelled frozen or no salt added canned pea instead of his regular food for the day, that often helps.

14. OP
    OP
    mg13

He passed on, he wouldn't eat at all, so the pea really wouldn't help much... anyway, that's that.. Farewell Billy.

15. Bijou88

Aw, I'm sorry for your loss :(

16. Anders247

Sorry for your loss. :(

17. OP
    OP
    mg13

thank's you guys, it was sad. happily, though, he had mated with the female that died and she delivered before she passed, so i have about 15 Eclipse/Billy fry... They're turning out pretty good.. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice