RIP Betta Lazarus

Salem

WARNING: This thread will contain descriptions of a dead fish and what I found when I was looking at it's remains.

Today I made the sad discovery that my betta Lazarus died some time this morning. The past month or so I knew it must had been near the end for him. He had become lethargic and would do little more than just rest near the top of the tank. He took longer and longer to eat. He was being his normal self last night and even this morning at 9am. I returned from work an hour ago and during his water change found him on the bottom of the tank being eaten by the snails.

I am a person who is experienced with death and although extremely saddened by this I was also very curious about what exactly happened. He was not an old fish, just about 2 years old. As such I decided to take a closer look at what was left of my sweet boy.

The snails had only had enough time to eat away at the skin. The majority of his internals were still intact and untouched. What I found was a lot of internal tumors. So many and so large they were displacing his organs.

I knew betta splendans were unhealthy fish- that they were prone to so many problems- but actually seeing the growths first hand really drove it home.

Lazarus had a good life. When I first got him he was in bad shape- in a cup for almost a month pushed to the back and forgotten. I treated his finrot and ich and found out he had the sweetest personality. I named him Lazarus after the biblical character who was brought back from the dead- his fins reminded me of zombies and ghouls. Over the time I had him he upgraded from a 5 gallon to a 10, from fake plants to real, and from silly ornaments to a fully natural set up. He had many issues with his fins but I always did my best to help. He spent his last year in a 20 long filled with places to explore and rest. When he started becoming tired I put in more betta hammocks to lay on and patiently fed him by hand.

But perhaps this whole time he had been doomed. Poor genetics from years of poor breeding cursed his life to be cut short. No one cared about that though, only that he was a pretty fish that could make them money.

I hope those who read this take it to heart; be careful and mindful of the pets you buy. Chain petstores don't care about their stock. Buying from them even when you think youre rescuing it only tells them they can sell more. Be wary of breeders who breed only for looks. Know that bettas may look healthy on the outside but be filled with issues. More importantly know that this is not exclusive to bettas or even fish. Rodents, reptiles, and birds are all at risk.

I will not be purchasing creatures from stores again.

LadfromLondon

WARNING: This thread will contain descriptions of a dead fish and what I found when I was looking at it's remains.

Today I made the sad discovery that my betta Lazarus died some time this morning. The past month or so I knew it must had been near the end for him. He had become lethargic and would do little more than just rest near the top of the tank. He took longer and longer to eat. He was being his normal self last night and even this morning at 9am. I returned from work an hour ago and during his water change found him on the bottom of the tank being eaten by the snails.

I am a person who is experienced with death and although extremely saddened by this I was also very curious about what exactly happened. He was not an old fish, just about 2 years old. As such I decided to take a closer look at what was left of my sweet boy.

The snails had only had enough time to eat away at the skin. The majority of his internals were still intact and untouched. What I found was a lot of internal tumors. So many and so large they were displacing his organs.

I knew betta splendans were unhealthy fish- that they were prone to so many problems- but actually seeing the growths first hand really drove it home.

Lazarus had a good life. When I first got him he was in bad shape- in a cup for almost a month pushed to the back and forgotten. I treated his finrot and ich and found out he had the sweetest personality. I named him Lazarus after the biblical character who was brought back from the dead- his fins reminded me of zombies and ghouls. Over the time I had him he upgraded from a 5 gallon to a 10, from fake plants to real, and from silly ornaments to a fully natural set up. He had many issues with his fins but I always did my best to help. He spent his last year in a 20 long filled with places to explore and rest. When he started becoming tired I put in more betta hammocks to lay on and patiently fed him by hand.

But perhaps this whole time he had been doomed. Poor genetics from years of poor breeding cursed his life to be cut short. No one cared about that though, only that he was a pretty fish that could make them money.

I hope those who read this take it to heart; be careful and mindful of the pets you buy. Chain petstores don't care about their stock. Buying from them even when you think youre rescuing it only tells them they can sell more. Be wary of breeders who breed only for looks. Know that bettas may look healthy on the outside but be filled with issues. More importantly know that this is not exclusive to bettas or even fish. Rodents, reptiles, and birds are all at risk.

I’m sorry to hear the loss of your buddy, you did your best by him! I’m sure he loved his time with you

FinalFins

One reason I am gravitating towards wild bettas vs domestic ones.

JuiceBox52

Yep. It's hard because you want to rescue the fish from chain pet stores and walmart but that only creates demand. More demand means more supply and so on

julifhy

This is why I don't shop at chain pet stores
They don't care about their animals at all. I also see a lot of people argue that the employees at their local pet stores take good care of their animals, but that doesn't mean the company as a whole does . It's also sad how pet store employees have to watch people buy animals and know the person will not take proper care of them.
I have a couple video links that convinced me to never again even step inside a chain pet store ever again. I couldn't even watch the videos all the way through...

Fisheye

This issue really starts with the massive factory farms and careless breeding practises. Volume over quality. Then they're shipped in bags barely big enough for their bodies. The ones that survive get the cup. The ones that survive leave the store and in most cases end up with kids or inexperienced keepers who haven't researched or rely on bad advice. The lucky few go to good homes but really, are doomed from the start. They just get to live a bit longer in better conditions.

JuiceBox52

This is why I don't shop at chain pet stores
They don't care about their animals at all. I also see a lot of people argue that the employees at their local pet stores take good care of their animals, but that doesn't mean the company as a whole does . It's also sad how pet store employees have to watch people buy animals and know the person will not take proper care of them.
I have a couple video links that convinced me to never again even step inside a chain pet store ever again. If anyone wants, I can PM you the links, but I have to say, I couldn't even watch the videos all the way through...
Sure. I have watched a few videos like that. It's crazy

Fisheye

If the Teddy Tank can get pulled, I wonder what hobbyists can do to change the betta trade, if all hobbyists banded together?

julifhy

Sure. I have watched a few videos like that. It's crazy
So just to make sure, you want the video link?

If the Teddy Tank can get pulled, I wonder what hobbyists can do to change the betta trade, if all banded together?
Lol I don't want to bring up tiktok again, but a lot of people there are literally attacking people with tanks smaller than 5 gallons. I guess it could be a positive thing, except now people are getting their betta fish info from tiktok comments. I don't really think that's good lol. They also only care about tank size. If the tank is 5 gallons with a heater and filter everyone comments, "Finally, someone who knows about good fish care" even though the tank wasn't cycled, it's clear their overfeeding, and the decoration might not be too great.

Fisheye

Lol I don't want to bring up tiktok again, but a lot of people there are literally attacking people with tanks smaller than 5 gallons. I guess it could be a positive thing, except now people are getting their betta fish info from tiktok comments. I don't really think that's good lol. They also only care about tank size. If the tank is 5 gallons with a heater and filter everyone comments, "Finally, someone who knows about good fish care" even though the tank wasn't cycled, it's clear their overfeeding, and the decoration might not be too great.

I'm not sure what TikTok (TicTac) has to do with my comment.

GeroBetta

I’m so sorry for your loss ☹️

julifhy

I'm not sure what TikTok (TicTac) has to do with my comment.
Sorry, I should of been clearer lol. I think I’ve also misinterpreted it a little. You mentioned changing the betta trade and what I got from that was spreading correct information about bettas and that there is already better information being spread, but not from the most reliable source? (I’m kind of confused what I was trying to say now lol)

JuiceBox52

So just to make sure, you want the video link?

Sure

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
Shay1431
Replies